Connect with us

NEWS

Senate summons I-G over killing of seven Policemen

Published

on

The Senate has mandated its Committee on Police Affairs to summon the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, over killing of seven Police officers at Galadimawa Junction in Abuja.

This followed a motion moved through a Point of Order by Senator Mao Ohuabunwa on proliferation of road blocks along South-Eastern roads by armed police and military officers.

The decision to summon Idris was unanimously taken after a voice vote.

The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, who condemned the killing of the security officers gunmen, mandated the committee to report back to the Senate in a week time.

Saraki said: “I think as a National Assembly, as much as we pay attention to ordinary citizens that lose their lives either by the action or inaction of the police, we all should be seen to also protect and be there for those that protect our lives.

“I will like us to please find out what happened as regards to these seven police officers that were killed.
“We will also find out the circumstances and how we can also show our commiseration with the families as well as whatever needs to be done.

“This is so that police officers will know that we do care and appreciate what they are doing. Please, let us have a report by next week.”

Gunmen had shot seven Police officers in Abuja on Monday at the Galadimawa Junction, off the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Road.

The FCT Police Spokesperson, Anjuguri Manzah, had confirmed in a statement that ‘men of the underworld’ were responsible for the attack.

Similarly, the Senate mandated its committees on Youth, Health and Police, to investigate the untimely death of a female member of the National Youth Service Corps, Angela Igwetu, who was reportedly shot by a police officer in Abuja on Wednesday.

The resolution was sequel to a motion by Senator Attai Aidoko.
He said:  “Mr. President, I came under Order 42 and 52 of the Rules of the Senate because of the unfortunate incident that happened where a youth corps member was killed by a trigger-happy policeman.

“Mr. President, from the onset, with the assent of the compulsory treatment of Gunshot Victims Bill in December 2017, victims of gunshot and car accidents can now receive immediate treatment in the hospitals without police report.”

He, however, lamented that the deceased corps member was denied medical attention by doctors who insisted that a police report must be presented before treatment.

According to him, it is the denial that made the girl to bleed to death, adding that if she had been treated, she would have passed out from service on July 5.

Aidoko said: “The deceased was to pass out from the National Youth Service Corps programme on July 5 after a compulsory one-year service in Abuja.

“Her place of primary assignment was at one company at Mabuchi, an outskirts of Abuja metropolis.
“She finished work late at 11 p.m. on Tuesday and, joined a few friends for a hangout in excitement of her expected passout scheduled for July 5.

“She left for home around 2 a.m. on Wednesday and was shot near Ceddi plaza around Area 10, by a police officer who was well identified.

“The bullet got Angela on her side inside a vehicle and she began to bleed.
“She was rushed to a hospital but they refused to treat her until they see a police report.

“This is in spite of the fact that they saw the presence of some police officers. While the deliberation was going on, Angela passed out.”

In his remarks, Saraki said: “If they had treated her she may not have died. This is an avoidable death”.
He added: “Until we begin to hold people accountable for this kind of incident, they will not stop.

“After all, what is the purpose of the law? Is it that they were not informed that the law exist?
“Now we have a law that must be obeyed.”

The Upper Chamber observed a minute silence in honour of the deceased corps member.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Osinbajo denies resigning as Vice President

Published

on

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has debunked the rumour of his alleged resignation as the Vice President of the country.

On his verified Twitter handle, Professor Osinbajo said, “Misleading/FAKE news is on the rise especially in this season when Nigerians will make a choice about who will govern them for the next four years. I have not resigned! I remain committed to the service of the Nigerian people under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari.”

President Muhammadu Buhari’s New Media aide, Bashir Ahmed, debunked same rumour on his Twitter handle.

He said Professor Osinbajo remains committed to serving the Nigerian populace.

On his verified Twitter handle, Ahmad said, “FAKE NEWS ALERT: Vice President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has NOT resigned, he remains committed to the service of the Nigerian people under the leadership of Pre

Continue Reading

NEWS

Only God can stop Feb. 23 elections – INEC chairman

Published

on

Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says “only an Act of God can stop the conduct of the rescheduled Presidential and National Assembly election slated for Saturday.

INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu stated this in Abuja while addressing a cross section of the diplomatic community and international election monitoring groups in Nigeria, for the 2019 General Election.

The briefing which was organised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in conjunction with INEC, is aimed at engaging with friends and partners of Nigeria on the rescheduled election.

Yakubu, who was represented by an INEC National Commissioner, Dr Mustapha Lecky, said that the commission had put in place everything possible to ensure the elections hold on Saturday.

The INEC boss said that the commission had no reason to feel that anything would stop the conduct of the election on Feb 23.

He said the commission has developed a six-point agenda of what needed to be done to ensure success of the election

He also said that the commission has completed the deployment of materials.

“We believe that as a prayerful nation the act of God has been assuaged and that things will go right, we have no reason to feel that anything will go wrong.

“We have received all the materials, they have been checked, audited people have been informed, party agents have gone there to check,” he said.

The official said that INEC had already taken responsibility for the postponement and that the body was committed to surpass achievement of previous elections in the country.

He blamed the postponement on logistics and problems associated with the primaries of some political parties, which according to him delayed the printing of ballot papers.

The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, said the police was working with other security agencies to ensure maximum security during the elections

Adamu said that he would ensure ballot box snatchers and other criminal elements who may attempt to scuttle the polls are arrested and prosecuted according to the law.

He said, the force had taken measures to protect voters, officials as well as election observers during the polls and warned trouble makers to rethink or be made to face the consequences of their actions.

“The police will be professional, impartial and will create a level playing ground for all parties.

“All security personnel were trained by various security agencies, training was also given by Civil Society Organisations and other partners towards free, fair and transparent elections.

“I have spoken to Nigerians. We on our part, will be professional and impartial.

“We are going to create enabling environment for all the political parties to operate freely without molestation without favouring one party against another,” he said.(NAN)

Continue Reading

NEWS

Elections: By Wednesday, Nigerians should know their president – INEC

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has announced the timeframe for result declaration of the 2019 Presidential Election.

The commission assured that the results would not take longer than the 2015 elections, in spite of the number of presidential candidates, size of the result sheets and increased voter population.

INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu said this on Wednesday in Abuja while briefing journalists on the state of preparedness of the commission for the polls.

Yakubu said the commission was working to ensure that it does not keep Nigerians waiting for days without declaring the results.

He said the time limit would not exceed what obtained in 2015.

Recall that in 2015, while the Presidential Election held on a Saturday, a winner was not declared until the following Wednesday.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending