Connect with us

THE NEWS

Reps summons NNPC, Chevron over inferno at abandoned oil wells

Published

on

The House of Representatives has resolved to invite the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporations and Cheveron Nigeria Limited to brief its appropriate committees on fire gutting abandoned oil wells.

This was sequel to a motion of urgent public importance moved by Victor Akinjo (APC, Ondo) on the urgent need for intervention in the incident of burning oil fields under the Joint Venture of NNPC/Cheveron Nigeria limited.

While moving the motion, Akinjo expressed sadness “at the lingering fire that keeps spreading with greater destructive implications while the company or the regulatory authorities fail to come up with any constructive idea on how to put out the fire.”

He raised concerns that if immediate action is not taken, the longest coastlines in Nigeria with all its economic potentials may be completely destroyed by the raging fire.

Reacting to the motion, Fred Agbedi (PDP, Bayelsa) slammed the NNPC and International Oil Companies (IOCs) for leaving abandoned oil wells without any measure to prevent disasters such as fire.

He said: “This fire has been on for days, what are the measures taken to protect the people against such disaster? If environmental assessment had been done on that barren well, this would not have happened. What is the level of security arrangement around the barren well? This fire must have affected the ecosystem.’

The House in a unanimous voice vote adopted the motion urging the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to provide relief materials to the affected communities.

It also urged NNPC and other agencies to mobilize relevant officials to these fields to extinguish the fire and mandated its relevant committees to ensure adequate compensation of concerned communities and ensure compliance.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NEWS

Tribunal sack: Dino Melaye reacts, says no cause for alarm

Published

on

The Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial district, Dino Melaye, has reacted to the nullification of his victory in the March 22 election and ordering of a fresh election by the Kogi West National Assembly/State Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal, sitting in Lokoja on Friday.

Melaye, in a statememt, said the judgment is a miscarriage of justice and therefore, no cause of alarm.

The PDP chieftain further said that his legal team was already studying the judgement, adding that he would appeal it.

He said he was confident that the Appeal Court would upturn the judgement of the lower tribunal.

According to him, the judgement was full of importation of information that was alien to the case.

Melaye said, “I, however, commend the courage and moral strength of the chairman of the tribunal for resisting evil and standing on the part of justice?”

“I have confidence in the Appeal Court to right the wrongs as contained in the pronouncements of the judgement.”

He added, “I also want to tell those jubilating that their jubilation will be short-lived while appealing to my teeming supporters to remain calm as their mandate is safe and secure and cannot be taken through any mischievous means.

“However, our legal team is already working on appealing the judgment and I assure all that justice will prevail.”

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

BREAKING: Tribunal sacks Dino Melaye as Kogi west senator

Published

on

The Kogi State National Assembly/State Assembly Election Petition Tribunal has quashed the victory of Senator Dino Melaye representing Kogi West Senatorial district.

Melaye (PDP) was declared winner in the February election by INEC but Senator Smart Adeyemi (APC) approached the tribunal, challenging INEC declaration on three grounds of irregularities, over voting and non compliance with the electoral acts.

The three man panel led by Justice A. O. Chijioke in a unanimous judgment on Friday accepted Adeyemi’s ground and order for reelection into the senatorial axis.

…More details shortly

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

Sylva assumes duty as minister of state for petroleum …As NNPC, others welcome him

Published

on

The newly appointed Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, has assumed duties with a pledge to reposition and chart a way forward for the Nigerian petroleum sector.

A press release Wednesday by the NNPC Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, said Chief Sylva pledged to work with the experts at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the other departments and agencies under the Ministry to move the sector forward.

In a welcome ceremony for Chief Sylva at the NNPC Towers in Abuja, the new Minister of State for Petroleum Resources who was accompanied by his wife, Alanyingi Sylva, stated that with the calibre of workforce in the Ministry, he was sure that the nation’s oil and gas sector would move to the next level.

Chief Sylva, who is a former Governor of Bayelsa State brings on the job several years of cognate experience in the petroleum sector.

The new Minister of State contributed profoundly to the institution of the Amnesty programme in the Niger Delta region which, over time, has led to restoration of peace in the oil producing areas of Nigeria.

Earlier, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Dr. Folashade Yemi-Esan, reassured Chief Sylva of the readiness of all members of staff in the Ministry to support him to succeed in the onerous task of transforming the Nigerian oil and gas sector for the good of all stakeholders.

On hand to welcome the Minister at the brief ceremony were the Group Managing director of NNPC, Mallam Mele Kyari; Executive Secretary of the Petroleum Training Development Fund (PTDF), Dr. Bello Aliyu Gusau; and the Executive Secretary of the Petroleum Equalisation Fund (PEF), Alhaji Ahmed Bobboi, amongst others.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending