Connect with us

SPORTS

Nigeria Para-powerlifting Federation set to unveil logo, mascot for Lagos 2019

Published

on

The Nigeria Para-powerlifting Federation (NPPF), is set to unveil its Logo and Mascot for the 2019 World Para Powerlifting Championship.

Queen Uboh, the President of the federation told newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday, October 29.

According to Uboh, “the federation is prepared and ready for the unveiling billed to take place on Thursday, November, 1 at Oriental hotel and suite, Lagos.

“This is in preparation towards the 2019 World Para Powerlifting Championship which we won the right to host come January 2019, we are ready for the unveiling of the logo and mascot”.

“We employ lovers of the game to come and support this and together we can put smile on the faces of this disabled athletes who have found ability in disability,” Queen Uboh said.

The president commended the efforts of Peak Milk for providing a world class facility in Lagos for the para-power athletes to train, and appealed to other corporate organisations and state governments to support NPPF.

She called on the sport ministry, state government and corporate organisation to contribute and uplift the game of powerlifting and also think of a better welfare package for the athletes after retirement.

She revealed that her priority was to make sure when these athletes are no longer active, they have something to fall back to and call their own.

It would be recalled that the six athletes that represented the country in the powerlifting events of the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, each clinched a medal, returning with a total of six medals.
Also, Esther Oyema set a new world record after securing a lift of 131kg.

Uboh added: “Most stakeholders in the country do not really care and think about this disable athletes who even with their condition continue to make this nation proud anytime they have the opportunity to represent their father land.

“In the last Olympic games in Australia they made sure the nation anthem was heard, even where the able bodied athletes couldn’t succeed.

“We went with only six athletes to Gold Coast and each of them came back with a medal. If we had presented more than six athletes we would have won more medals.

“So, the athletes are ready for the tournament come January 2019,” she added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

COVID-19: Premier League suspends 2019/20 season indefinitely

Published

on

COVID-19: Premier League suspends 2019/20 season indefinitely

The Premier League has suspended the 2019/20 season indefinitely amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the UK’s lockdown, but remains intent on completing the full campaign.

No Premier League matches have been played since 9 March, and the majority of top-flight teams still have nine games to play to finish their 38-game season.

But with no clear end in sight for the coronavirus pandemic, the League confirmed that it will not return to action in May as had been tentatively scheduled, with no estimation given for when it may return.

The League stressed an intention to complete the season, with clubs in agreement that voiding the entire season was not an acceptable resolution.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Coronavirus: UEFA postpones Champions, Europa leagues till July, August

Published

on

Coronavirus: UEFA postpones Champions, Europa Leagues till July, August

UEFA has postponed its club competitions until July/August due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Football across Europe remains suspended as countries battle the Covid-19 pandemic across the continent.

In England, 381 people died from Covid-19 in the UK on Tuesday, bringing the total to 1,789, while thousands more are currently battling the virus.

A conference between Europe’s 55 national football associations along with UEFA took place on Wednesday, and it is believed that the governing body has moved the restart date for the Champions League and Europa League to July/August.

All international matches in June will also be suspended and will probably not be played until the autumn, according to ZDF Sport.

Reports yesterday claimed several senior football executives were talking about June being an optimistic time to restart the season, but it now appears that move has been pushed back even further.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Manchester United set to sign Ighalo in £15m permanent deal

Published

on

Manchester United set to sign Ighalo in £15m permanent deal

Manchester United now plan on signing Odion Ighalo on a permanent basis as they’re unsure if the striker would be able to play for the club again under the current circumstances of his loan deal due to the coronavirus outbreak, reports metro.co.uk.

The former Watford striker was a shock signing on deadline day in January and he was only intended to be a stop-gap before Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was handed significant funds to sign a striker in the summer.

However, the 30-year-old was in a rich vein of form before the Premier League season was postponed, scoring four goals in his first eight appearances for the club.

The season has been postponed until April 29th but it’s extremely likely that there will be further delays as the UK is believed to be some way off the ‘peak’ of the covid-19 pandemic.

Ighalo’s loan deal runs until May 31 and cannot be extended, meaning United face the prospect of the Nigerian leaving before playing for the club again.

That’s not something that Solskjaer wants to risk and the Daily Mail claim United are going to sign Ighalo for £15 million.

Shanghai Shenhua are open to selling the Nigerian, who is on £300,000-a-week at the club.
Speaking last month, Solskjaer hinted at a permanent deal.

“He will improve and get better,’ said the United boss.

“He has the qualities we saw in him that we needed. And we will still need those qualities next season — so let’s see what we will do.”

Sources close to the player have indicated that the Nigerian would be open to making his loan deal permanent, should the club want to keep him, but the Covid-19 situation has complicated matters.

The contract, which was agreed with the player and his parent club Shanghai Shenhua on deadline day, was enough to see Ighalo stay until the end of the season and past a potential Europa League final.

However, it is now likely United would have to ask for special permission for an extension to his deal with the 2019-20 campaign, if it resumes, likely to run past the end of May.

“We might get to the summer and think we want to extend this, who knows? He’s come in like a breath of fresh air as well,” Solskjaer told Sky Sports.

“He had chances in his five minutes against Chelsea, he scored against Bruges, he had chances against Watford, he had a very good save [from a shot] against Everton – there have been good saves, he doesn’t miss the target very often.

“Even for Anthony (Martial), Mason (Greenwood) and Marcus to learn that it is where the sharks are swimming. It’s comfortable outside the box and you can have a few shots.

“It’s in there where it might be a bit tougher and you might get hurt – that’s where you get goals.”

The 30-year-old refused to be drawn on his future last week when he was asked by The Sun about potentially staying at Old Trafford.

He said: “Talking about other things now will not only be selfish but terribly insensitive. I don’t even think about it. The challenge before us now is not a football one, but a global one.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending