Connect with us

THE NEWS

British Airways planes grounded by pilots over pay dispute

Published

on

British Airways pilots began a 48-hour strike on Monday, grounding most of the airline’s flights and disrupting thousands of travellers’ plans in unprecedented industrial action over a pay dispute.

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) last month gave the airline notice of three days of industrial action in September, in what is the first ever strike by BA pilots.

Following the strikes on Sept. 9 and 10, another day of industrial action is scheduled for Sept. 27.

BALPA has said that British Airways (BA) should share more of its profits with its pilots. BA has said the strike action is unjustifiable as its pay offer was fair.

Thousands of customers have had to seek alternative travel arrangements, and the airline has come in for criticism over how it handled communications with passengers ahead of the strikes.

“This strike will have cost the company considerably more than the investment needed to settle this dispute,” BALPA General Secretary Brian Strutton said in a statement on the eve of the strike.

“It is time to get back to the negotiating table and put together a serious offer that will end this dispute.”

Last Thursday, the airline dismissed a new offer by BALPA as an “eleventh hour inflated proposal” that was not made in good faith. BALPA had said it would have called off the strikes this week if BA had engaged with the offer.

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged both sides to end the dispute.

Asked about the strike action, a spokeswoman for British Airways said: “We remain ready and willing to return to talks with BALPA.”

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is investigating the airline after it enraged some travelers by wrongly telling them their flights had been canceled.

The regulator also reminded the airline to proactively tell customers of their rights. During the strikes, BA must offer the passengers reimbursement for canceled flights, alternate travel arrangements under comparable conditions or a new flight at a later date.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NEWS

BREAKING: Nigeria records 10 new COVID-19 cases, toll now 184

Published

on

BREAKING: Nigeria records 23 new COVID-19 infections, toll now 174

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced this on Thursday in a tweet on their verified Twitter page.

“Ten new cases of COVID19 have been reported in Nigeria; 7 in Lagos and 3 in the FCT.”

“As at 08:00 pm 2nd April there are 184 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. Twenty have been discharged with two deaths,” NCDC tweeted.

This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 184.

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

BREAKING: Lagos discharges 11 COVID-19 patients

Published

on

[BREAKING] COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu imposes dusk-to-dawn lock down in Lagos
Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu

This was made known by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on his verified Twitter account.

This brings the total number of discharged patients from the centre to 19.

“I am happy to break to you, my good people of Lagos, the news of the release today of 11 more patients from our facility in Yaba. They have fully recovered and have tested negative to COVID-19 and have been allowed to return home to their families.”

“The patients include two females and nine males. Their results came out negative in two rounds of tests. I want to use this opportunity to, once again, thank our frontline health workers and other professionals for their service.”

“Let me reiterate that this is not the time to relax, but to maintain our vigilance because of the community infection that we are beginning to see. I assure you that at the end, we will hoist a flag of victory – with your cooperation and by the grace of the Almighty,” he tweeted.

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

BREAKING: Nigeria records 23 new COVID-19 infections, toll now 174

Published

on

BREAKING: Nigeria records 23 new COVID-19 infections, toll now 174

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday night confirmed twenty-three new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.

The NCDC confirmed nine cases in Lagos, seven in the FCT, five in Akwa Ibom, one in Kaduna and one in Bauchi State

This brings the number of cases to 174

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending