Connect with us

THE NATION

Again, Group accuses presidency of desperation, deception on NIA Rufai Ahmed’s saga

Published

on

A group, the National Patriot’s Forum, has said the Presidency, in its seeming desperation to cover up the fraud at the National Intelligence Agency, NIA, and defend the wrong appointment of Abubakar Rufai Ahmed as the substantive Director General has been telling unbridled lies and half-truths, using its propaganda machinery

A statement by the group noted Thursday that “In a Hausa Radio programme on Vision FM monitored in Abuja on Wednesday, one of the Presidential spokespersons, Garba Shehu tried misleading the gullible Nigerian Hausa listeners ignoring the obvious contradictions in the birth and nationality of Rufai Ahmed.

The group’s statement signed by Comrade Adewale Benjamin, convener and Mustapha S. Tarajo, co-convener said “Whereas Garba Shehu, in seeming ignorance of what is contained in the official Resume of Rufai Ahmed stated that the NIA DG was born in Chad, which is the truth, the official records, as contained in Rufai’s CV however indicates that the man was born in Katsina state of Nigeria. The poser here is who is telling lies between the Presidency and Abubakar Rufai Ahmed?

“Suffice it to state that, being born in Chad automatically confers on Abubakar Rufai Ahmed the citizenship of Chad, going by conventional practice which makes citizenship either by birth, by naturalization or by registration.

It added that “Since The Presidency admitted the truth of his place of birth, it pre-supposes that a holistic vetting would have been carried out from the cradle. As far as we are concerned, he could have been born anywhere else since nobody has carried out any vetting on him as required by law.

Going further, the Patruiot’s Forum said “On the issue of his marriage to a foreigner, it is necessary to point out that, contrary to Garba Shehu’s postulations that no law exists guiding the marriage of a foreigner by diplomats and other officers of the foreign Affairs Ministry; regulation no. 6, appendix c, section 2, sub section (a) and (b), of the Federal Public Service Rules which the Foreign Affairs Ministry subscribes to stipulates amongst others that: (a) Any member of the foreign service who proposes to marry a foreigner shall first seek prior permission of the Permanent Secretary before proceeding with the marriage.

“It is needless to expatiate that it is completely forbidden in the case of Head of the National Intelligence Agency, NIA. This is intended to insulate officers from vulnerability to double loyalty and exposure to Hostile Intelligence counterparts.

“It was rather laughable the explanations made by the Presidency on the issue of Abubakar Rufai Ahmed’s failure in promotion examinations, to the effect that Garba Shehu said, Rufai was made to sacrifice his promotion having come from outside the country to sit for the examinations at each turn.

“It is rather absurd to say that he was prevailed upon to be patient on the grounds that he had been a Director at the UN. Abubaker Rufai Ahmed never rose to the rank of a Director at the United Nations. At best, he was a P5 Officer, the equivalent of an Assistant Director. He was given an honorary Deputy Director so that he will be entitled to pensions, as has been the practice at the UN.

According to the Forum, “The contradiction is, whether he accepted to return to the NIA as an Assistant Director, having been a Director at the UN, or that he was too provident to allow others proceed, while he downgrades? The fact remains that he was a glorified Personal Assistant, PA, to Ambassador Babagana Kingibe, who was head of Africa’s Peace Keeping Mission, UNAMID, before it was taken over by the UN.

It said “In accordance with Civil Service Rules, where an officer comes from does not count in his promotion, just as it does not subtract anything from his record of service. It has always been a level playing field, with no room for forfeiture on account of one’s duty post.

“There is nowhere all over the world that an officer will be prevailed upon to forgo his promotion, in a situation that he passed necessary evaluation tests, under the guise of sympathy for others. The question to ask include; whether Rufai Abubakar was prevailed upon verbally or in written and under which Director General did that take place?

“That Abubakar Rufai came in from Katsina then into the NIA is a fact, contrary to the claim that he came in from the United Nations. In fact the issue coming from the UN does not arise because it is assumed that he came from the NIA to take up appointment with the UN.

“It remains an aberration that the NIA DG who was supposed to have been downgraded on his transfer of service from Katsina State to the Foreign Affairs, he was rather promoted from Grade level 12 to Grade level 14.

“That Abubakar was both a permanent staff of the NIA as well as the UN, and retired from both in the same year are issues to be investigated. It is not practicable anywhere for an officer to hold two appointments both on permanent basis at the same time.

“There is the need to state for the avoidance of doubt that Nigerians, including supporters of President Muhammadu Buhari are not impressed with the infantile defenses being put up to save the job for the cabal, using Abubakar Rufai Ahmed and the NIA as a proxy.

“Lies, however beautifully colored can never take the place of truth, neither can deceit, however well clothed take the place of reality. Nigerians are watching,” the group said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

$217.7b looted in Nigeria in 38 years – Magu

Published

on

The Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, has revealed the total money stolen in Nigeria between 1970 and 2008 was $217.7 billion.
Magu made this known during annual conference of the Online Publishers Association of Nigeria, held in Abuja.
Represented by the EFCC spokesman, Tony Orilade, Magu said Nigeria constituted about 30.5 per cent of Africa’s total share of illicit financial outflow.
He said: “In February 2015, a High-level panel on illicit Financial Flows from Africa constituted by the African Union under the chairmanship of the former President of South Africa, Thabo Mbeki, revealed that Nigeria ranked first among 10 African countries by Cumulative Illicit Financial flows between 1970 and 2008.
“The total outflow from Nigeria for the period was $217.7 billion, constituting about 30.5 per cent of Africa’s total share.”
Magu also said the investigation, arrests, prosecution and asset recoveries undertaken by EFCC over the years confirmed that the level of corruption in Nigeria was truly staggering.
He said: “The various investigations, arrests, prosecution and asset recoveries we have been undertaking at the EFCC over the years have confirmed to us that the level of corruption in Nigeria us truly staggering.
“Thus horrible and inhuman crime is being perpetrated by individuals and groups in both the private and public sectors all over the country.
“The latter include serving and defunct state governors, cabinet ministers, high ranking officers, chief executives of parastatals, and top bureaucrats in the state and federal government agencies.
“The alarming rate of corruption committed by these unpatriotic elements can be partly seen in the number of convictions secured by the EFCC from Nigerian courts since I assumed duty as the head of the Commission in 2015.
“The figure stands at 103 in 2015, 195 (2016), 189 (2017) and 312 for the period January to November 2018.
“The total figure for the period January 2015 to 2018 is a mind blowing 799 convictions.
“In the process of such convictions, the EFCC recovered: N794.5 billion, $261 million, £1.1 million, 8.1 million euro and CFA 86,500.
“Other recoveries under my tenure include: Seized 407 mansions, 281 under interim forfeiture and 126 under final forfeiture.
“Confiscated hundreds of filling stations, petroleum products, real estate, heavy machineries and investment shares.
“Seized 87 lands, 56 under interim forfeiture and 42 under final forfeiture.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Acting IG Adamu reverses Idris last-minute postings

Published

on

Strong indications emerged Tuesday that four out of the seven Deputy Inspectors-General of Police in the Nigeria Police Force may leave the force alongside the former Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, who retired on Tuesday.

It was gathered that the DIGs, who are members of the Police Management Team and senior to the acting IG, Mohammed Adamu, might be forced out of the service to pave the way for him to set up a new management team he could work with.

It was gathered that those that might be affected by the reorganisation include DIG Maigari Dikko in Charge of Department of Finance and Administration; DIG Joshuak Habila, Department of Operations; DIG Emmanuel Inyang, Information and Communications Technology; and DIG Agboola Oshodi-Glover, Logistics and Supply Departments.

Police sources said that DIGs Mohammed Katsina (Research and Planning Department); Sani Mohammed (Training and Development Department); and Peace Madueke -Abdallah (Federal Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department) who were promoted late last year could survive the impending purge of the Police Management Team.

“The three DIGs were on the same rank as Adamu last year. In fact, Abdallah was a Commissioner of Police the same time the acting IG was also a CP, so they were almost on the same level. By virtue of this fact, the new police boss may include them in his management team and save their career from sudden death.”

It was gathered that Abdallah, who has about six years to retire, may be the worst casualty of the purge if Adamu decided to dispense with all the police management team members.

The decision to retain any of the PMT members rested on the acting IG, who is expected to write to the Police Service Commission about his chosen team members.

Meanwhile, the new Police Chief has reportedly reversed some last-minute postings and redeployments carried out by Idris few days before his retirement.

It was gathered that the redeployment of the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, by the former IG was overturned while other senior officers who were also posted to new commands and formations had been asked to stay action until further notice.

This development, sources said, meant that the redeployment order by Idris would not be obeyed unless sanctioned by the acting IG.

Shortly after meeting with the DIGs in his office at the force headquarters, Adamu was seen going from floor to floor, meeting officers and familiarising himself with his men.

The acting IG, who was decorated with his new rank at the State House by President Muhammadu Buhari, hailed from Lafia, Nasarawa State, and is a holder of Bachelor of Science degree in Geography.

He enlisted into the Force on February 1, 1986 as Cadet Assistant Superintendent and had attended several Senior Officer Courses on Law Enforcement, Crime Prevention, Control and Management within and outside Nigeria.

Before his appointment as acting IG, he was at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Jos, Plateau State.

He was also the Commissioner of Police in Ekiti and Enugu states and also Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 5 Police Command Headquarters, Benin, Edo State.

Earlier on Tuesday, the acting IG said the police under his watch would be professional and fair to all parties while providing security for the general elections beginning on February 16.

Adamu stated that there were rules of engagement for the Nigeria Police, adding they would be strictly applied in dealing with security matters. He stressed that the police would not pander to the desires of any groups or interests.

Adamu was decorated by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa. Idris, who was appointed IG in 2016, bowed out on Tuesday as he retired from service at the age of 60 years.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

2019 elections: Kwara sets up Joint Security Task Force

Published

on

The Kwara State Government has established a Joint Security Task Force headed by the Nigerian Army to check political violence before, during and after the general elections in the state.

The State Governor, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed disclosed this on Monday at Agbaji Quarter in Ilorin when he led other members of the State Security Council to assess the extent of the damage during Sunday’s political violence in the area.

Governor Ahmed described the incident as unacceptable and a clear case of criminality which shows a complete degeneration of political values the state is known for.

The governor who had earlier presided over the State Security Council meeting promised that all the culprits would be identified and brought to book to forestall reoccurrence.

Dr Ahmed assured the people that the government and security agencies would ensure adequate protection of lives and property during the electioneering period.

The State Security Council meeting was also attended by the Deputy Governor, Elder Peter Kisira, Secretary to the State Governor, Alhaji Isiaka Gold, Emir of Ilorin, His Royal Highness, Dr. Ibrahim Sulu Gambari, Commissioner of Police, State Director, DSS, representative of the Brigade Commander, heads of the Navy, Airforce and Commandant of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending