The ministry of power works and hosing has asked Nigerians to be rest assured that the third mainland bridge in Lagos poses no danger to users.
A video of an expansion joint on the bridge had gone viral, causing people to question the safety of the structure.
But in a statement issued on Sunday, the ministry said it is aware of the joint and has marked it for repairs, adding that experts have advised that it does not pose any structural danger.
The bridge, longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland, was closed temporarily in August for investigative maintenance test.
The ministry said all the tests it carried out on the structure pending when it would be closed for maintenance works “indicate that the integrity of the Bridge is intact”.
“The General Public is hereby informed that the expansion joint shown in a Facebook video clip, is one of those slated for change during repairs to the Third Mainland Bridge which will commence soon,” the statement read.
“It is still functioning and our engineers and consultants have advised that it does not pose any structural danger to the bridge and it is safe to use.
“Commuters and Lagos residents will recall that the Third Mainland Bridge was shut down for a 3-day Investigative Maintenance in August 2018. Tests done on the expansion joints then – called static and dynamic load tests – were to check functionality. A number of expansion joints were identified for replacement then.
“More recently, in March this year, underwater confirmatory tests preceding the repair works to be done on the Bridge, were carried out on the piles to determine if there is further deterioration or not on the piles from that done in 2013.
“However, all the tests done preparatory to closure of the Bridge to commence comprehensive Maintenance works indicate that the integrity of the Bridge is intact.
“Therefore the Third Mainland Bridge is safe for use, and people should desist from spreading or sharing false information about the Bridge on Social Media platforms.
“The expansion joints to be replaced are part of a regular bridge maintenance programme that has been neglected for decades which the President Muhammadu Buhari administration is now addressing frontally on many bridges nationwide.
“Such maintenance works include resurfacing of the Bridge, along with several others, which this administration is also undertaking as the bridge users will attest to a better driving surface.”
[BREAKING] COVID-19: Nigeria records another eight new cases, toll now 97
The number of Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in Nigeria hit 97 on Saturday evening with eight fresh cases, says the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
“As at 10:40 pm 28th March there are 97 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria with 1 death,” it stated.
COVID-19: Please, pray for my husband, El-Rufai’s wife begs Nigerians
Hadiza Isma, the wife of the Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, has appealed to Nigerians to offer prayers for the quick recovery of her husband who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
She made the appeal a few minutes after her husband disclosed that he tested positive for the virus on Twitter.
THE WITNESS reports that El-Rufai had on Saturday announced that he had been infected with the virus but had no symptoms.
“Dear Tweeps, my husband, the Governor of Kaduna State has tested positive for COVID-19. Please keep us in your prayers,” she tweeted.
BREAKING: El-Rufai tests positive for coronavirus
The governor, in a live broadcast said he submitted a sample for the COVID-19 test and the result came in positive.
He stated he has been in isolation according to doctors’ order.
He said: “Earlier this week, I submited a sample for the COVID-19 test and the result came in this evening and I regret to say that it is positive.
“According to the protocols for managing COVID-19, I am in self-isolation as required by the case management guidelines of the NCDC for a someone that is no showing symptoms.
“I wish to appeal to the people of Kaduna State to continue to closely observe the preventive measures already announced.
“It is most important that everybody should do their utmost to stay safe, stay home and stay alive.
“The Deputy Governor is chairing our COVID Taskforce and will continue to issue statements from time to time,” he said
OPINION21 hours ago
Re: Isa Pantami and ministerial arrogance, By Adewunmi Olaoluwatomi
THE NATION2 days ago
COVID-19: Edo announces total lockdown Friday
THE NATION3 days ago
COVID-19: Nigerian govt raises alarm, says 4,370 returnees hiding
OPINION24 hours ago
Isa Pantami: The gang-up against saviour of Nigeria’s digital economy, By Hashim Suleiman
THE NATION3 days ago
COVID-19: NITDA inaugurates committee to contain spread
BUSINESS2 days ago
Fidelity Bank staff tests positive for COVID-19
THE NATION22 hours ago
COVID-19: No curfew in Lagos yet – Information commissioner
THE NEWS3 days ago
BREAKING: Nigeria confirms 14 new cases of COVID-19