Connect with us

THE NEWS

Police arrest ex-Emzor Pharmaceutical employee for selling codeine

Published

on

Operatives of the Lagos State Police Command have arrested a former employee of Emzor Pharmaceutical Limited, Maduike Chukwunonye, for allegedly selling a cough drug containing codeine to a correspondent of the British Broadcasting Corporation, Adejuwon Soyinka.
The ex-employee told the BBC in a video that was secretly shot, that he could get cartons of the drug for its undercover reporter, alias Mr. Nohson.
This was in the heat of the ban on codeine containing drugs by the Federal Government.
The arrest of Chukwunonye was made known to newsmen by the Commissioner, Lagos State Police Command, Edgal Imohimi, who paraded him on Wednesday.
The Commissioner said the police had been on the trail of the suspect since May.
Emzor had in the light of the report by the BBC reported to the police that several cartons of the drug were missing from its store.
Imohimi said Chukwunonye tried fleeing the country when he noticed he was being hunted.
Edgal said: “The company alleged that while in its employ, the suspect had access to limited quantities of its product with codeine for the purpose of distribution to licensed retail pharmacies under his assigned territory.
“But due to his greed, the suspect knowingly supplied the controlled drugs to persons who are not supposed to have access to them, contrary to the dictates of the laws.
“He has been on the run since May, but was eventually arrested at Idi-Iroko border, Ogun State by operatives of Area ‘D’ Command while he tried to flee to Cotonou in Benin Republic.
“In his statement, he averred that he was only trying to meet his sales target and that the BBC man was introduced to him by one Pascal as a genuine businessman without verifying the former’s identity as a pharmacist. He regretted selling the controlled substances to unauthorised persons.”
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NEWS

NIJ appoints new deputy provost, acting registrar

Published

on

NIJ appoints new deputy provost, acting registrar

The governing council of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism (NIJ), Lagos, has approved the appointment of a new deputy provost, Dr Dele Omojuyigbe and an acting registrar, Mrs Patricia Kalesanwo for the institute. The Witness reports.

In a statement signed by the Provost of the Institute, Mr Gbemiga Ogunleye and obtained by The Witness on Friday, the council said the appointments take effects immediately.

Dr Omojuyigbe, a seasoned journalist holds a Doctorate Degree in English Language from the University of Ibadan, and Post Graduate Diploma in journalism from the College of Journalism, Lagos.

The Witness reports that he held the position of the head of department, General Studies for over a decade and worked as a journalist in Daily Times of Nigeria and other media houses. Dr Omojuyigbe was a visiting member of the editorial board of Daily Independent newspaper.

 NIJ appoints new deputy provost, acting registrar

Dr. Omojuyigbe

On her part, Mrs Kalesanwo, until her appointment was the Student Affairs Officer of the institute, a position she held for over a decade.

She holds a Master Degree in Adult Education (Communication of Arts) from the University of Ibadan and has also worked as a journalist with the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, Ibadan Zonal office.

Dele Omojuyigbe

Mrs. Kalesanwo

NIJ, is one of the foremost training Institutions for Journalism, media and communication studies in Nigeria and Africa, established in 1963 by the International Press Institute, IPI, with Headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland.
Continue Reading

THE NEWS

BREAKING: Nigerian footballer contracts coronavirus

Published

on

BREAKING: Nigerian footballer contracts coronavirus

A Nigerian footballer, King Paul Akpan Udoh, who is an Italian-Nigerian player, has become the first footballer to be infected with the coronavirus.

The Witness reports that King Paul who currently plies his trade with Pianese, an Italian Serie C side, was diagnosed with the disease on February 27, and he has been quarantined.

The 22-year-old Pianese forward started his career with Reggiana before moving to Juventus in 2011 where he was loaned back for a year. After progressing through the youth ranks of Juventus, the Nigerian footballer secured a loan move to Virtus Lanciano, a Serie B side in 2016 with an option to buy at the end of the season.

However, after failing to impress, Udoh was returned to Juventus and then loaned to Lega Pro side Pontedera later the same year. He had a loan stint with Pontedera, Fernana, Fano and Viareggio before joining Pianese on July 14, 2019.

The deadly coronavirus has spread from China to countries in Europe, the Middle East, the Americas and Africa with Italy being the country in Europe with the highest number of reported cases.

This online news platform understands that some Italian Serie A matches were postponed last weekend as a preventive measure against the spread of the virus.

On Friday, the Lagos state government and the federal ministry of health confirmed the first case of coronavirus in Nigeria. The index patient is an Italian who arrived in the country on Tuesday, February 25.

Nigerian Footballer Contracts Coronavirus

Dr Osagie Ehanire, the minister of health, confirmed the case in a statement issued in the early hours of Friday, February 28, 2020, saying that the case involves an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and just returned from Milan, Italy on the 25th of February 2020.

This online news platform understands that the statement said the Italian was confirmed to be positive by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The ministry said in a statement that: “The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the outbreak in China in January 2020.

“The case is an Italian citizen who entered Nigeria on the 25th of February from Milan, Italy for a brief business visit. He fell ill on the 26th February and was transferred to Lagos State Biosecurity Facilities for isolation and testing. COVID-19 infection was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.

“The Government of Lagos State under the Governor as the COVID-19 Incident Commander, through the Lagos State Ministry of Health, has been strengthening measures to ensure that any outbreak in Lagos is controlled and contained quickly in collaboration with the multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group, led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC). We have immediately activated the State Emergency Operations Centre to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.

“I wish to assure all Lagosians and Nigerians that we have been strengthening our preparedness since the first confirmation of cases in China. We will use all the resources made available by the State and the Federal Government to respond to this case.

“We are working to identify all the contacts of the patient since he arrived in Nigeria. Please, be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only a mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses,” the statement read in part.

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

Nigerian senate slams FG over Coronavirus

Published

on

Ahmed Lawan

Ahmad Lawan, the President of the Nigerian Senate, on Thursday, accused the Federal Ministry of Health of not putting serious measures in place to prevent the outbreak of coronavirus in Nigeria.

He, however, asked the Senate Committee on Primary Health Care to liaise with the ministry to intensify screening of passengers at the nation’s airports and seaports.

Lawan stated this following a point of order by the Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Ajayi Boroffice.

Boroffice drew the attention of the Senate to the failure of health personnel at the airports and seaports to screen passengers coming into the country.

Recall, an Italian citizen who traveled to Lagos, Nigeria’s economic nerve center, is the first confirmed case of coronavirus in sub Saharan Africa, according to the country’s Health Ministry.

The man works in Nigeria and had returned from Milan to Lagos on February 25, the ministry said. “The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos,” the ministry said in a statement.
“We have already started working to identify all the contacts of the patient, since he entered Nigeria,” the ministry added, urging citizens not to panic. “Citizens must not abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic,” it said.

The senator said the coronavirus screening at the South African airport usually takes up to 30 minutes before passengers would be allowed to disembark the aircraft.

He said the situation was different on his arrival at the Nigerian airport, when the health officials at the nation’s airports merely issued a form to passengers to indicate if they were sick or not.

He said, “There is no form of any screening of passengers for coronavirus by Nigerian officials at the airport.

“It’s worrisome, situations where travelers coming into the country were not dully screened for the dreaded virus based on his experience at the airport.”`

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending