Connect with us

THE NATION

Oyo presents new cars to 36 traditional rulers

Published

on

Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State on Monday in Ibadan presented new cars to 36 traditional rulers across the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that 35 traditional rulers, apart from the Olu of  Igboora, received their cars at the Governor’s Office car park.

NAN recalls that the Olu of Igboora stool was still vacant after the former occupant, late Oba Oyewole Oyerogba, died.

Prominent among the beneficiaries of the cars were: Oba Sunday Oladapo, Onpetu of Ijeru, Oba Abdulazeez Oyemonla, Sabiganna of Iganna, Oba Lekan Balogun, Otun Olubadan of Ibadanland and Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, Balogun of Ibadanland.

Others include: Oba Biodun Kola-Daisi, Ekerin Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Eddy Oyewola, Ashipa Olubadan of Ibadanland and Oba Amidu Ajibade, Ekarun Olubadan of Ibadanland.

Ajimobi said that his administration would continue to promote the traditional institution  by enhancing the status of  monarchs  in the state as in other Yoruba-speaking states
He said: “We have decided to procure these vehicles because record confirms that there are logistic, safety and security challenges facing our royal fathers.

“Our effort to intervene in these areas should not be misinterpreted or misunderstood.”
The governor stated that there was need to lay a solid foundation for the traditional institution in the state.
He said: “You will recall that our administration responded to the yearning and aspiration of our people by elevating the status of some royal fathers to crown and coronet-wearing Obas.

“As agent of change, we refused to be intimidated or perturbed in our desire to further promote and modernise the institution because we believe posterity will judge us right.”

He stated that the administration had received an avalanche of applications for elevation.
Ajimobi urged the traditional rulers to see the gesture of government as a charge for them to further contribute to the development of the state.

The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, stated that the gesture brings to the fore the struggle for the recognition and honour of traditional institution as an integral part of governance.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

DSS denies tapping telephone lines of Nigerians

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) has denied tapping the telephone lines of Nigerians.

A political group had alleged that the DSS had tapped the telephone lines of Nigerians.

But Mr Peter Afunanya, the Public Relations Officer of the DSS, said in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja that the organisation was committed to its professional ideals and would not engage in unethical conduct.

He said the DSS had been criticised by unpatriotic citizens who fed the public with fake news and hate speeches against it.

The spokesman said that the social media had been awash with wrong information regarding the operations of the DSS that were misunderstood and misrepresented.

“It is obvious that some merchants of violence are determined to use their platforms to misinform the public for their selfish and political ends,” he said.

He warned mischief makers against misleading the public, adding that the law would catch up with them.

“The DSS is a responsible organisation and thus professionally adheres to the ideals of intelligence and security governance expected of it in a democracy,” he said

Afunanya urged the public to disregard the claims of the political group.

He said that the DSS should be left out of politics to maintain its usual transparency and neutrality in the discharge of its mandate.

The spokesman enjoined carriers of fake news and social media manipulators to always think of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Kebbi Gov. Bagudu signs 2019 N151bn budget

Published

on

GOVERNOR Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi state, on Wednesday, signed the state 2019 N151 billion budget into law.

Bagudu, while signing the budget at the Government House, Birnin Kebbi, said it would consolidate the gains achieved in 2018.

He said N104 billion of the budget representing 70 per cent is for capital expenditure while N47 billion representing 30 per cent is for recurrent expenditure.

“The budget will improve on infrastructure, power supply and exploration of mineral resources.

“It will further add value and improve the lives of the people,” he said.

The governor also commended the state House of Assembly for the speedy passage of the budget.‎

Earlier, the state’s Commissioner of Budget and Economic Planning, Alhaji Muhammad Yauri, commended the house ‎for passing the budget on time.

The Speaker, Alhaji Abdulmuminu Kamba, said the house has fulfilled it promised of ensuring speedy passage of the budget with thorough scrutiny.

Kamba also assured that the house would sustain its cordial working relationship with other arms of government in the state

‎The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Airspace to remain open throughout election period – NAMA

Published

on

The Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) has insisted there was no disruption in the provision of air traffic services on Saturday, a day earlier scheduled for the Presidential and National Assembly elections before it was shifted till next Saturday.

The airspace manager said the flight service was in keeping with the agency’s mandate to provide uninterrupted safe, effective, efficient, and economic air navigation services in the country.

The agency also said it had earlier on Friday ensured a 24-hour operation at all Nigerian airports to facilitate the transportation of materials nationwide by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The claim counters Saturday’s claim by INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu that adverse weather condition stalled movement of electoral materials by air.

Some airline sources said apart from slight delays as a result of weather, there was no cancellation of such of flights.

NAMA in a statement by the General Manager, Public Affairs, Khalid Emele explained that it has sustained 24-hour operation in line with the directive of the Minister of State (Aviation), Sen. Hadi Sirika.

It said, “In the same vein, NAMA wishes to reassure all airspace users and the general public that the Nigerian airspace shall remain open for all airspace users before, during and after the rescheduled 2019 general elections.

“Thus, the agency has put in place appropriate contingency measures to ensure safe flight operations within the period, as well as possible extension of operational hours of any domestic airport when the need arises”.

NAMA urged airline operators, the travelling public and other service providers who are dependent on the agency’s services, to go ahead with their businesses as usual.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending