Connect with us

NEWS

No plans to overthrow Buhari – Military

Published

on

The defence headquarters on Tuesday dissociated the armed forces of Nigeria from the circulation of document, calling for the overthrow of the democratically elected government led by President Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement issued by Muhammed Wabi, deputy director of defence information, the DHQ accused a group, “Nigerian Continuity and Progress’’ as being behind the document.

Wabi alleged that the document called for the setting up of an “interim government’’ in place of the elected government.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to dissociate itself from the rascality and intentions as espoused in a document being circulated by a faceless group named Nigerian Continuity and Progress calling for support of a revolution to oust the current democratically elected government and in its place establish an illegitimate interim government,” the statement read.

“The AFN outrightly condemns the undemocratic and demonic actions of the author of the document.

“Accordingly, members of the public are enjoined to discountenance the content of the documents being circulated by NCP and equally condemned in totality, the call to derail our hard-earned democracy.”

It said the armed forces was “very mindful of its constitutional responsibilities’’ and would not be misled into any act that would undermine democracy as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution as amended.

“The AFN remains unflinchingly loyal to the Constitution, as well as President Muhammadu Buhari and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he said.

Wabi said all relevant law enforcement agencies had been advised to unravel those behind the “seditious” document for appropriate actions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Zamfara polls: Jubilation as Supreme Court nullifies APC candidates’ elections, declares PDP winner

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Friday nullified the elections of all the candidates of the All Progressives Congress in Zamfara State in the 2019 general elections.

Delivering a unanimous judgment of the five-man panel led by the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, the apex court declared the first runners-up in the 2019 general elections in the state as the winners of all the posts earlier declared to have been won by the APC and its candidates.

Justice Paul Galinje, who read the lead judgment upheld the decision of the Sokoto Division of the Court of Appeal to the effect that the APC did not conduct any valid primary election and as such had no candidate for any of the elections in the state.

He described the votes polled by the APC candidates in the elections as wasted, adding that the party and the candidates with the second highest votes and the spread in the various elections were the valid winners.

The judgment centres on the governorship, state House of Assembly and the National Assembly elections conducted in Zamfara State on February 23 and March 11, 2019.

APC candidates, including the outgoing governor of the Zamfara State, Abdulaziz Yari, who was elected to the Senate, had won most of the offices contested for in the 2019 elections with the Peoples Democratic Party’s candidates, placing first runners-up in the polls.

Source: PUNCH

Continue Reading

NEWS

Reps demand forensic audit of $3.2bn NNPC pipeline project

Published

on

The House of Representatives has called for forensic audit of three pipeline projects worth $3.288billion.

The House Committee on gas resources that investigated the contract for the upgrade of OML 58 Upgrade 1; execution of Obite-Ubeta-Rumuji (OUR) pipeline; and the Northern Option Pipeline Projects recommended forensic investigation into the projects.

The committee chaired by Fred Agbedi (PDP, Bayelsa) called for forensic investigative audit into the cost overrun emanating from all change orders, including USD 2.2 billion on OML 58 Upgrade 1, USD560 million on OUR Pipeline and USD 528 million on NOPL Pipeline Projects.

The committee admitted difficulty in establishing the true cost, claiming that all the parties involved in the contract gave contradictory figures.

The committee called for “thorough investigation of the professional and/or personal relationship between NNPC/NAPIMS Management and TEPNG on the one hand and TEPNG and local contractors on the other hand in relation to this project to establish claims by parties and ensure fairness of purpose.”

The House also resolved to recover the sum of US592million from TEPNG in line with recommendations of Tabor VFM Audit Report; and that all ‘contracts awarded in this sector should be subjected to Value for Money Audit.”

Continue Reading

NEWS

BREAKING: Police Council confirms Adamu Mohammed as IGP

Published

on

Mohammed

The National Council of State and National Police Council has approved the appointment of the Acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Adamu Mohammed as the new IG of the Nigeria Police Force.

Adamu was confirmed at the police council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday.

Musiliu Smith, chairman of the police service commission, and governors of the 36 states were part of the meeting.

Mohammed was appointed in the acting capacity on January 15, 2019 following the retirement of former IGP, Ibrahim Idris.

More details later

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending