Connect with us

SPORTS

Man United stun Juventus as City, Madrid win big

Published

on

Manchester United produced a stunning late comeback to beat Juventus 2-1 on Wednesday in what could be a turning point in their Champions League campaign, while a Gabriel Jesus hat-trick helped Manchester City all but secure a last-16 berth.
Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo Pep Guardiola’s City crushed Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0 on a night which saw Real Madrid also win big, as Bayern Munich closed in on a place in the knockout stage. Juventus were within seconds of confirming their spot in the last 16 after Cristiano Ronaldo put them ahead in Turin with a superb volley in the 65th minute.
The hosts had already hit the woodwork twice before that and should have been out of sight before Juan Mata equalised from an 86th-minute free-kick. The turnaround was completed in the 90th minute when Leonardo Bonucci scored an own-goal, and United boss Jose Mourinho delighted in taking to the field at the end, cupping an ear towards the home support.
The former Inter coach said it was a response to insults from Juve supporters, and United are now two points behind the Italians in Group H. “In a beautiful Italian city, they insulted me for 90 minutes. I didn’t insult them. I just made a little thing,” Mourinho told BT Sport.
“It is a big victory for us, not just because we needed the points but because it was away from home against an amazing team.” The result was a blow for Valencia, who are still two points behind in third after beating Young Boys 3-1 at Mestalla. Santi Mina scored twice either side of a Roger Assale goal, before Carlos Soler sealed the win. Young Boys, who had Sekou Sanogo sent off, cannot now qualify.
There was less drama at the Etihad Stadium, where City — whose financial dealings have come under scrutiny in a series of Football Leaks allegations — eased to their biggest win in the competition. Goals from David Silva and Riyad Mahrez bookended the victory. In between there was a stunner from Raheem Sterling, who was also awarded a penalty for kicking his own foot into the turf in the box.
Ronaldo a goal machine, money-making machine for ambitious Juventus Jesus scored the spot-kick, the first of two penalties in his hat-trick. City will head to Lyon later this month requiring a draw to secure a last-16 place.
“Unfortunately we haven’t qualified, but we are so close and will try to maintain this level,” said Guardiola, whose team play United on Sunday. City would have been through already had Lyon not squandered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at home to 10-man Hoffenheim. Nabil Fekir and Tanguy Ndombele had the French club 2-0 up at the break, and the Germans had Kasim Nuhu sent off early in the second half.
But Andrej Kramaric pulled one back and Lyon missed chances to secure the victory before Pavel Kaderabek’s stoppage-time equaliser. Reigning European champions Madrid had no trouble against Viktoria Plzen in the Czech Republic, with Karim Benzema scoring twice in a 5-0 win.
Real were four ahead at the break, Benzema’s goals taking him to 200 for the club. Casemiro and Gareth Bale also netted in the first half, and Toni Kroos completed the scoring with a delicious chip. Santiago Solari has now overseen three victories, all with clean sheets, since being put in charge of Madrid, and the Spaniards are level atop Group G with Roma. The Italians won 2-1 away to CSKA Moscow, Kostas Manolas and Lorenzo Pellegrini scoring their goals either side of Arnor Sigurdsson’s equaliser. CSKA, who had Hordur Magnusson sent off, still have a slim chance of qualifying, but Plzen are out.
Meanwhile, Bayern require just one more point to advance in Group E after Robert Lewandowski netted twice — the first a penalty — on his 100th European appearance in a 2-0 home win over AEK Athens, who are eliminated. Ajax remain well placed to progress too. They are second, four points clear of third-placed Benfica, after a 1-1 draw in Portugal. Jonas put Benfica ahead before Dusan Tadic equalised.

-Vanguard
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Access Bank Marathon: FRSC restricts movement of articulated vehicles in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has announced restrictions of movement of trailers, tankers and other articulated vehicles into Lagos ahead of upcoming Access Bank International Marathon.

The marathon holds on Feb. 1 and Feb. 2.

In a statement on Wednesday in Lagos, Sector Commander of the corps, Hyginus Omeje, said the days of the restriction are Feb. 1, Feb. 2, Feb. 8 and Feb. 9.

Omeje said that the decision on the issue was reached at the end of a meeting of heads of security and traffic management agencies in the state.

“This decision is in the general interest of the motoring public and also targeted at ensuring free-flow of traffic and forestalling of security breaches on the highways and other roads on the stated days.

“Accordingly, a joint team of traffic and security agencies have been set up to ensure strict compliance with this directive.

“Motorists found wanting will be severely reprimanded,” Omeje said

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Alleged corruption: Pinnick drags Obono-Obla, SPIP to court

Published

on

The last might not have been heard of the alleged corruption against Amaju Pinnick, President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), as the CAF vice president, through the NFF lawyer, Mamman Nasir, has dragged Okoi Obono-Obla, the head of Special Presidential Investigatory Panel (SPIP) on the recovery of public property, and the entire panel, to court.

This is according to a letter from Nasir obtained by Breaking Times. The football house, through its lawyer, lamented what it called the orchestrated media campaign against NFF officials.

Consequently, the NFF, through the lawyer, warned against persecution and public show trial of its officials by SPIP.

“It must be pointed out that while these publications of the news of the warrant of arrest started on Wednesday, January 9, the date on the face of the eventual published warrant unlawfully obtained from a magistrate’s court in Abuja was Thursday, January 10”, the statement stated.

The counsel to the NFF questioned why a warrant of arrest will be obtained from a Magistrate Court instead of a High Court as prescribed by the law setting up the SPIP.

“More grievous to the rights of our client and its officials is the fact that Chief Obono-Obla and SPIP went to secure a warrant of arrest from a Magistrate Court contrary to the clear provisions of the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provisions) Act, the law setting up the SPIP, that ONLY the Federal High Court is vested with the jurisdiction to issue warrants for the SPIP.

He, however, stated that he has filed a suit against the SPIP in the FCT High Court, Abuja. ”Our client and the affected NFF officials have also taken the additional step to file a suit, FC/ABJ/ CS/17/2019 at the Federal High Court, Abuja Division.

“The suit is to allow this whole sordid matter to be ventilated in the court of the land and to check the oppression of our client and its officials

Continue Reading

SPORTS

BREAKING: Manchester United sack Jose Mourinho

Published

on

Manchester United have sacked José Mourinho following Sunday’s defeat at Liverpool, ending a tenure that began in May 2016.

A poor start to the Premier League season has seen United slip 19 points behind the leaders, Liverpool, and fall off the pace in the hunt for a top-four place. They have won only once in six league matches, drawing during that sequence with struggling Southampton and Crystal Palace.

The club issued a statement on Tuesday morning which read: “Manchester United announces that manager Jose Mourinho has left the club with immediate effect.

“The club would like to thank Jose for his work during his time at Manchester United and to wish him success in the future. A new caretaker manager will be appointed until the end of the current season, while the club conducts a thorough recruitment process for a new, full-time manager.”

Relations between the manager and the executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, also seemed strained after the club did not sign a central defender this summer. The club concluded that of the players in that position targeted by Mourinho whom they could potentially land, none was an upgrade on the existing squad.

A sense of disunity at United was encapsulated when Mourinho stripped Pogba of the vice-captaincy before a Carabao Cup defeat by Derby County and confronted him at training the following morning. The manager has criticised his players’ “mental approach”, attitude and quality.

Mourinho has seemed less than happy since the buildup to the season, when he described preparations as “very bad” because many of his senior players were resting after the World Cup.

The manager demanded “respect, respect, respect” for his three Premier League titles following United’s 3-0 home defeat by Tottenham in late August but will not get a chance to add a fourth at Old Trafford.

In two full seasons at Old Trafford, Mourinho won the Europa League and League Cup (2016-17) before finishing second in the Premier League last season and reaching the FA Cup final. In that period since replacing Louis van Gaal, United’s spending stands at £364.3m on eight buys.

Source: The Guardian UK

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending