Connect with us

THE NATION

Killings: CAN declares three-day prayers, fasting

Published

on

The leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria has declared July 9 to July 11 as National Day of prayers and fasting programme against the killings across the country.

The association also called on all Nigerians, both within and outside the country to take part in the programme.

The President, Rev. Samson Ayokunle, made the announcement in a statement signed by Pastor Adebayo Oladeji, Special Assistant, Media & Communications to the CAN president, on Thursday in Abuja.

Ayokunle said that the decision was hinged on the willful and persistent killings of fellow citizens in general and Christians in particular and mostly in Plateau and Benue states where mass burial has become the norm.

He said: “CAN is worried, disturbed and disappointed that despite all the clarion calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to re-organise his security team by replacing all the security chiefs, he has consistently not responded to such calls.

“From all indications, the President seems to be satisfied with their poor performance and the attendant problems that have led to the avoidable loss of lives and property.”

He called on all Christians in the country and diaspora to participate in the three-day prayers and fasting programme for God to end all the senseless, unwarranted, and selected killings in the country.
Ayokunle said: “If the government has failed us, we are very sure that our God will never fail.”

He disclosed that all the National Executive Committee’s members of the CAN, the church and denominational leaders have been invited to participate in a peaceful protest march to both the National Assembly and the States House to impress on the government to see the need to effectively stop the unprecedented killings.

Ayokunle said that the association has also directed its leadership at the state and local government levels to organise the same peaceful protest march to the Government House and the Local government headquarters respectively on July 11.

He said: “We will tell the government enough is enough.

“I appeal to all members to be law-abiding before, during and after the peaceful protest.”

He expressed disappointment to the ungodly and unlawful counsel from the Presidency for people living under the threat of the Fulani herdsmen to give away their land or face death.

He said: “The only time such a directive was given was during the tyrannical leadership of Ahab when he killed Naboth, who refused to let go of his inherited land to the greedy, wicked and the ungodly king Ahab.

“Although, he succeeded in killing Naboth, the wrath of God did not spare his family despite his remorselessness.

“Those who use violence to take away what belongs to others are unfit to be called humans.”
The CAN leader, however, called on Nigeria to rise up and speak against such a position and killing of innocent citizens.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

DSS denies tapping telephone lines of Nigerians

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) has denied tapping the telephone lines of Nigerians.

A political group had alleged that the DSS had tapped the telephone lines of Nigerians.

But Mr Peter Afunanya, the Public Relations Officer of the DSS, said in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja that the organisation was committed to its professional ideals and would not engage in unethical conduct.

He said the DSS had been criticised by unpatriotic citizens who fed the public with fake news and hate speeches against it.

The spokesman said that the social media had been awash with wrong information regarding the operations of the DSS that were misunderstood and misrepresented.

“It is obvious that some merchants of violence are determined to use their platforms to misinform the public for their selfish and political ends,” he said.

He warned mischief makers against misleading the public, adding that the law would catch up with them.

“The DSS is a responsible organisation and thus professionally adheres to the ideals of intelligence and security governance expected of it in a democracy,” he said

Afunanya urged the public to disregard the claims of the political group.

He said that the DSS should be left out of politics to maintain its usual transparency and neutrality in the discharge of its mandate.

The spokesman enjoined carriers of fake news and social media manipulators to always think of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Kebbi Gov. Bagudu signs 2019 N151bn budget

Published

on

GOVERNOR Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi state, on Wednesday, signed the state 2019 N151 billion budget into law.

Bagudu, while signing the budget at the Government House, Birnin Kebbi, said it would consolidate the gains achieved in 2018.

He said N104 billion of the budget representing 70 per cent is for capital expenditure while N47 billion representing 30 per cent is for recurrent expenditure.

“The budget will improve on infrastructure, power supply and exploration of mineral resources.

“It will further add value and improve the lives of the people,” he said.

The governor also commended the state House of Assembly for the speedy passage of the budget.‎

Earlier, the state’s Commissioner of Budget and Economic Planning, Alhaji Muhammad Yauri, commended the house ‎for passing the budget on time.

The Speaker, Alhaji Abdulmuminu Kamba, said the house has fulfilled it promised of ensuring speedy passage of the budget with thorough scrutiny.

Kamba also assured that the house would sustain its cordial working relationship with other arms of government in the state

‎The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Airspace to remain open throughout election period – NAMA

Published

on

The Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) has insisted there was no disruption in the provision of air traffic services on Saturday, a day earlier scheduled for the Presidential and National Assembly elections before it was shifted till next Saturday.

The airspace manager said the flight service was in keeping with the agency’s mandate to provide uninterrupted safe, effective, efficient, and economic air navigation services in the country.

The agency also said it had earlier on Friday ensured a 24-hour operation at all Nigerian airports to facilitate the transportation of materials nationwide by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The claim counters Saturday’s claim by INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu that adverse weather condition stalled movement of electoral materials by air.

Some airline sources said apart from slight delays as a result of weather, there was no cancellation of such of flights.

NAMA in a statement by the General Manager, Public Affairs, Khalid Emele explained that it has sustained 24-hour operation in line with the directive of the Minister of State (Aviation), Sen. Hadi Sirika.

It said, “In the same vein, NAMA wishes to reassure all airspace users and the general public that the Nigerian airspace shall remain open for all airspace users before, during and after the rescheduled 2019 general elections.

“Thus, the agency has put in place appropriate contingency measures to ensure safe flight operations within the period, as well as possible extension of operational hours of any domestic airport when the need arises”.

NAMA urged airline operators, the travelling public and other service providers who are dependent on the agency’s services, to go ahead with their businesses as usual.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending