Connect with us

NEWS

EFCC sets up special team to grill Fayose over corruption charges

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has set up a special team to interrogate Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State next week. Fayose, who has been governor since October 16, 2014, will lose his immunity at exactly 11.59pm on October 15, 2018, thereby giving the EFCC the constitutional right to arrest, detain and prosecute him.

The governor is expected to report at the EFCC head office in Abuja to meet with the commission’s Director of Operations, Umar Mohammed, after which he will be grilled by a team of operatives.

Fayose is under investigation for allegedly receiving over N1.2bn from a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), through a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro.

The money was allegedly handed over to Fayose during the build-up to the 2014 governorship election in Ekiti State.
His aide, Abiodun Agbele, and others had been arraigned by the EFCC but Fayose was excluded because of his immunity.

“We are expecting Fayose to show up at our office next week. He has nowhere to run to since he is under security watch and cannot leave the country through any land border, seaport or airport. We have also set up a special team of investigators that will interrogate him immediately after the expiration of his tenure,” said an EFCC source.

The governor is expected to be arraigned after investigations, which is apart from the alleged N1.2bn fraud and also include alleged contract fraud.

A spokesman for Fayose, Idowu Adelusi, said his principal was ready for the EFCC, noting that the governor had written a letter to the EFCC indicating his readiness to appear before the commission next week.

“Governor Fayose is an honourable man. He will not run away. He has already stated that he will make himself available next Monday once his tenure expires. He made this clear in a letter recently. Even when he was not under immunity, the governor honoured the EFCC invitations.

“The EFCC is not a court of law and cannot declare a person guilty. The governor will be available next week, no doubt.”

Meanwhile, Fayose has filed a N20bn suit against the EFCC for placing him on watch list and directing security agencies to arrest him, if he attempts to travel out of the country.

He said the directive against him despite being a sitting governor breached his constitutional immunity and exposed him to public opium and ridicule.

Fayose had in a September 3, 2018 letter by his counsel, Obafemi Adewale, given the EFCC 72 hours to withdraw the request/directive to security agencies and publish a written apology in three national newspapers and the social media.

A statement issued on Tuesday by his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, said the suit was consequent upon the EFCC’s failure to accede to his demands as contained in the letter.

Recall that EFCC had tweeted on July 16, 2018 through its official twitter handle @officialEFCC concerning Governor Fayose that, “The parri (party) is over, the cloak of immunity is torn apart and the staff broken, Ekiti Integrated Poultry/Biological Concepts Limited N1.3bn fraud case file dusted off the shelves. See you soon.”

In the suit, Fayose demanded among other things; an order of the court mandating the EFCC to pay the sum of N20bn as general damages to what he called “flagrant, deliberate, pre-meditated and reckless libel and unprovoked attack on his character and reputation and the breach of his constitutional right/immunity as an incumbent governor.”

He asked the EFCC to tender a written apology, which should be circulated to all security agencies in Nigeria and that same should be published in at least three widely read national newspapers and the social media.

The governor also sought a declaration that the statements contained in the EFCC’s letter of September 12, 2018, and addressed to all security agencies n Nigeria portrayed him as a criminal, a fugitive and a run-away from the law, and that the statements were not true, were malicious, and not fair.

He asked the court to further declare “that the EFCC’s letter placing him on watch list and directing his arrest on sight even while a sitting governor is unconstitutional as same offends the clear provision of Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) which clothes him with immunity against arrest and prosecution as an incumbent governor.”

“That the tweet by the defendant (the EFCC) through its official twitter handle, which was widely circulated through social media and published in Punch Newspaper (online) of 16th July, 2018, with the particular wordings pleaded in the statement of claim filed along with this Writ is not true, is malicious, is not a fair statement and presents the plaintiff as a fraudster thereby ridiculing him and reducing him in the eyes of reasonable and right-thinking members of the society.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Kano PDP asks INEC to cancel supplementary poll

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kano state has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to cancel the supplementary governorship election ongoing across the 28 local government areas of the state.

Rabiu Sulaiman-Bichi, acting chairman of the party, who made the call while addressing journalists on Saturday, said there was need for the commission to cancel the election as the process had completely been taken over by armed political thugs.

“Today this charade called re-run election was slated to hold in Kano and other states but unfortunately, what we have in Kano is nothing but a sham,” he said.

“Reports reaching us since yesterday indicated that thugs have allegedly been mobilised to take over all the 208 polling units.”

According to him, the thugs were allegedly brought from Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna, Plateau and other neighbouring states and were “armed to the teeth”, posing as voters in the polling units in the localities.

The chairman alleged that the thugs freely voted with permanent voter cards (PVCs) that did not belong to them, while some posed as INEC staff.

He said as a peace-loving party, the PDP had alerted security agencies, in addition to writing a letter of caution to the INEC resident electoral commissioner to alert him to the situation.

Continue Reading

NEWS

BREAKING: Tribunal declares PDP’s Adeleke winner of 2018 Osun Gov election

Published

on

The Election Petitions Tribunal set up for the 2018 governorship election in Osun State has declared Ademola Adeleke winner of the election.

The three-man panel said during its ruling in Abuja Friday afternoon that the rerun election that held on September 27 was illegal.

The tribunal therefore deducted the votes scored by the APC candidate Gboyega Oyetola at the rerun illegal.

The tribunal said Mr Adeleke won the election at the first ballot on September 22, and the rerun that INEC devised to reach a final conclusion a week later was illegal.

Details shortly.

 

Source: Premium Times

Continue Reading

NEWS

Osun Guber Poll: Tribunal upholds PDP’s claims of alteration of results

Published

on

The Osun State Governorship Election Tribunal has upheld claims by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP that results of the Osun governorship elections were altered.

The tribunal held that testimonies by agents of the APC, who were witnesses at the tribunal showed that Forms EC8A and EC8B were altered after the completion of the election.

The tribunal also dismissed PDP’s claims of over-voting in 125 polling units, saying there was “no scintilla of evidence were adduced that their valid votes were voided.”

On the issue of non-compliance, the tribunal said the PDP could not prove the allegations.

The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the election, Senator Ademola Adeleke and his party are challenging the declaration of Isiaka Oyetola of the All Progressive Congress, APC as the winner of the September 22/27, 2018 election in the state. They urged the tribunal to declare Adeleke as the winner of the poll.

Oyetola is urging the tribunal to dismiss the petition which he described as a bedlam full of confusion.

Detail later…

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending