Connect with us


Despite denial, Lagos gov confirms army operatives shot Lekki protesters



Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has confirmed that operatives of the Nigerian Army carried out the attack on the #EndSARS protest at Lekki Toll Gate area of the state.

The governor said this on Wednesday in a broadcast to the people of the state over the firing of gunshots at protesters on Tuesday.

Sanwo-Olu, however, said no death was recorded, adding that he had no control over the deployment of the troops but was going to enquire into what actually transpired.

This paper earlier reported how security agents in military camouflage opened fire on protesters at the Lekki toll gate, in Lagos State. We gathered that the streetlights were put off and the CCTV cameras removed before the security agents stormed the venue.

The Nigerian Army had said it had nothing to do with the attack.

But according to the Lagos governor: “For clarity, it is imperative to explain that no sitting governor controls the rules of engagement of the military. I have, nonetheless, ordered an investigation into the rules of engagement adopted by men of the Nigerian Army that were deployed to the Lekki toll gate last night.

“This with a view to take this up with higher command of the Nigerian Army and to seek the intervention of Mr President in his capacity to as the Commander-In-Chief to unravel the sequence of events that happened yesterday night.

“Fellow Lagosians, whilst we pray for the swift recovery of the injured, we have not recorded any fatality as against the widespread circulation on social media.

“Myself and the leadership of the ministry of health have been going round. Indeed, we went round the hospitals last night. We went round hospitals last night to see and to monitor for ourselves what has happened and to look and identified the injured protesters.

“We personally visited the hospitals that took in these patients. 10 patients at the General Hospital in Lagos, 11 patients were at the two locations of the Reddington Hospitals both in Lekki and Victoria Island,” adding that another set was at various hospitals in the area.

“I want to expressly say that over the night, two of them had to go through surgery and I am happy to say that they are all stable and they are recovering very well. Quite a number of others are just mild to moderate states.

“Indeed, three of them had been discharged this morning and I am told that addition three to four will be discharged anytime from now.”