Connect with us

THE NATION

Court fixes date to hear Adoke’s suit against EFCC

Published

on

A federal capital territory high court has scheduled December 12 as the hearing date for the motion filed by Mohammed Adoke, former attorney-general of the federation (AGF), challenging the charges preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC).

Mike Ozekhome, counsel to Adoke, made this known on Wednesday.

In an application, Adoke had asked the court to strike out his name from the OPL 245 case the EFCC filed against him.

The former AGF said it is erroneous to include his name as a defendant in the suit when the federal high court in Abuja had already exonerated him from the matter.

An FCT high court had issued a warrant of arrest against Adoke and four others on April 17, 2019, following a request by the EFCC over the OPL 245 deal executed by the federal government in 2011.

However, following an application by Adoke’s lawyers, the court, presided over by D. Z. Senchi, vacated the warrant on October 25, 2019, declaring it “null and void and of no effect whatsoever”.

But in November, Adoke was held by Interpol in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, following confusion over the warrant of arrest that had already been vacated.

In a statement on Wednesday, Ozekhome said the charges for which Adoke is currently being detained by the Interpol in Dubai was initiated by “a misinterpretation” by the EFCC.

Ozekhome said concealing the fact of the case from the court is “a gross misstatement, misrepresentation, concealment and suppression of material facts” by the EFCC.

“Justice Danladi Senchi of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Wednesday adjourned hearing of the application filed by a former Attorney-General of the Federation, Mohammed Bello Adoke SAN, seeking to remove his name from the Malabu Oil scam trial,” he said.

“The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had in 2017 filed charges against Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Company Limited and 10 others, including Adoke and Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited.

“The former minister, who is currently being held under Interpol’s detention in Dubai, UAE, hinged the prayer, among others, on the fact that he had secured a judgment of the Federal High Court in Abuja, against the Attorney-General of the Federation, representing the Federal Republic of Nigeria in which he was completely exculpated with respect to the facts and circumstances relating to the Malabu Oil scam.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

Senate confirms Musa Shuaibu Nuhu as DG NCAA

Published

on

Captain Shuaibu Nuhu

The Senate on Tuesday confirmed the nomination of Captain Musa Shuaibu Nuhu for appointment as the Director General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

The approval of the Senate followed the presentation and consideration of the screening report of the Senator Smart Adeyemi-led Senate Committee on Aviation at plenary in Abuja.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Presidency raises alarm over fake news targeting Buhari, family

Published

on

Presidency raises alarm over fake news targeting Buhari, family

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

President Muhammadu Buhari, his family, ministers and the service chiefs are now targets of a new drive by those described as ‘purveyors of fake news’, the Presidency has revealed.

A statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, cited a news item, claiming that President Buhari is due for a 20-day trip to the United Kingdom, as one of such Fabrications.

Alerting the general public to the new development and warning them to be ‘discriminatory’ in consuming unverified stories, especially from the social media, the statement, the statement noted this is the only way to beat this new wave of attack.

“Purveyors of fake and concocted Information are currently on overdrive, and Nigerians are urged to be careful what they consume as news, and also share with others, particularly from the social media.

“An unfounded information has been making the rounds that President Muhammadu Buhari is billed to travel to the United Kingdom for 20 days, and from there proceed to Saudi Arabia, and then Austria. Fake. It is nothing but falsehood from mischievous minds.
“Members of the First Family, Ministers, top government officials, the military, and other key institutions, are equally objects of this orchestrated falsehood, coming from enemies of national cohesion.

We urge Nigerians to be discriminatory about what they accept as credible information, and restrain themselves from sharing what they have not authenticated as genuine. That is how we can all collectively beat the malevolent minds at their pernicious games”, the statement said.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

PHOTOS: Incoming Bayelsa governor, Duoyo Diri celebrates S’Court victory in Abuja

Published

on

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending