Chelsea have appointed former midfielder Frank Lampard as their manager on a three-year deal.
Lampard, 41, has left Championship side Derby County to take over at a club where he spent 13 years as a player.
He succeeds Maurizio Sarri, who left Stamford Bridge in June to take charge of Italian champions Juventus.
Lampard led Derby to the Championship play-off final, where they lost to Aston Villa, in his first season as a manager.
The former England international made 648 Chelsea appearances, winning 11 major trophies with them.
He takes over with Chelsea under a transfer embargo after the club were given a two-window transfer ban by world governing body Fifa – a decision they are appealing against at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
“I am immensely proud to be returning to Chelsea as head coach,” said Lampard.
“Everyone knows my love for this club and the history we have shared. However, my sole focus is on the job in hand and preparing for the season ahead.
“I am here to work hard, bring further success to the club and I cannot wait to get started.”
The appointment comes nine days after Derby gave Lampard permission to talk to Chelsea and 18 days after Sarri left Stamford Bridge.
Lampard is the 10th full-time manager appointed by Roman Abramovich since he bought the club in 2003.
Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said Lampard’s Championship play-off final appearance with Derby demonstrated that he is “one of the most talented young coaches in the game”.
“It gives us great pleasure to welcome Frank back to Chelsea as head coach,” she said. “Frank possesses fantastic knowledge and understanding of the club.”
Derby assistant manager Jody Morris and first-team coach Chris Jones have also joined Lampard at Stamford Bridge, while former team-mate Petr Cech was appointed as technical advisor last month.
Lampard joined Chelsea from boyhood club West Ham for a fee of £11m in 2001.
He won a Champions League and a Europa League at the club, while also helping them to win three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and two League Cups.
Chelsea’s title win in 2004-05 was their first in half a century and Lampard scored 13 league goals that season, including both in a 2-0 victory at Bolton that sealed the top-flight crown.
He scored 10 or more Premier League goals in 10 successive seasons for Chelsea and is the club’s all-time record goalscorer with 211.
Lampard left Stamford Bridge in June 2014 and had a stint at Manchester City, where he scored six goals in 32 appearances.
He then joined New York City in Major League Soccer in the US, making his debut in August 2015, before ending his 21-year professional playing career in 2017.
Lampard won 106 England caps after making his international debut in 1999 and went on to score 29 goals for the Three Lions.
He appeared in three World Cups and one European Championships.
Source: BBC Sports
Ban: I have done no wrong, Siasia appeals to FIFA, CAS
Former Super Eagles’ Chief Coach Samson Siasia on Wednesday in Abuja said he has appealed against the life ban slammed on him by world football governing body FIFA.
Siasia told newsmen that his lawyers filed the appeal to FIFA on Aug. 27, while another appeal was filed with the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) on Aug. 29.
He denied any involvement in any illegal act, such as match-fixing, saying he was well aware they are contrary to the ethics of the football sport.
“I wish to state that I have never been and would never be a party to any form of unethical conduct or perversion in the discharge of my duties in any capacity.
“I built my career in the football industry on the foundation of hard work, integrity, consistency and God.
“In all my career, I have done nothing but serve my country and clubs to the best of my personal and professional ability, with all my strength and might, with discipline, pride and passion and an awareness that it is a privilege to be an ambassador of our great nation.
“It is my greatest hope and belief that my country also stands by and with me at a time like this,” the former Super Eagles forward said.
The former player of French side Nantes and KSC Lokeren in Belgium said the entire proceedings and decision were only brought to his notice on Aug. 16.
“That was when the news broke in the public domain and friends and family started to call. I was totally unaware of the proceedings until I heard about FIFA’s decision.
“While I may not be able to publicly divulge the details and specifics, of the appeal, I think it fit to inform you that I have appealed against FIFA’s Decision and you all will probably hear the results as you heard about the ban.
“I am currently taking legal advice. My lawyer, Austin Otah, has been liaising with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and its counsel,” he said.
Siasia who also played for Nigeria at the youth level then expressed his gratitude to all Nigerians.
“I thank everyone who has supported me in one way or the other. I must state that this is the most trying period of my life.
“I am still dealing with the pains and challenges of my mother being kidnapped again and fighting to secure her release.
“I urge the nation to support me with prayers, goodwill and support of all kind. The demands are very heavy,” he said, struggling to control a surge of emotions.
Otah also reacted on the appeal.
“We have actually assisted Siasia to file his appeal and we are awaiting FIFA to acknowledge the receipt of the appeal. We are awaiting feedback from FIFA and CAS.
“The FIFA decision requires Siasia to appeal to CAS. We are exploring an internal appeal mechanism, and this will exceptionally be with the Appeal Committee of FIFA.
“But, that notwithstanding, we are still to ensure that his appeal rights are not impeded in anyway”, Otah disclosed.
UEFA Champions League draw holds today
Europe is set for a major soccer showpiece on Thursday: the live draw for the Champions League starting in September and the unveiling of player of the year, in men’s and women’s football.
The four pots for the draw for the group stage were confirmed Wednesday night as the curtain was drawn on the late qualifiers such as Ajax.
The ceremony begins at 18:00 CET on Thursday 29 August. It takes place at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco and will be streamed live on UEFA.com.
Which teams are in which pots?
The Champions of Europe’s top 6 leagues, the Champions League and Europa League winners are in Pot 1. So Liverpool are here along with Chelsea and Manchester City.
The following award winners will also be announced during the draw ceremony:
UEFA Men’s Player of the Year
UEFA Women’s Player of the Year
Goalkeeper of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Defender of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Midfielder of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Forward of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
FIFA Ban: I’ve done nothing wrong – Siasia
Former Super Eagles coach Samson Siasia has expressed shock over his ban by FIFA and accused the world soccer ruling body of dishing out punishment without contacting him.
The former U-23 coach, in a swift reaction on social media following news of his ban, vowed to fight to clear his name.
He wondered how a person can be charged and found guilty of an allegation without being heard from.
He also dismissed claims by FIFA that a letter to that effect has been dispatched to him while re-echoing that he has not done anything wrong.
“I am shocked with FIFA ban, I was never questioned by FIFA.
“I don’t know anything about this. I did nothing wrong and I have not received any letter from FIFA,” he said.
Siasia, who led Nigeria’s Olympic team to Silver Medal finish in 2016, insisted he was hearing about the allegation and the said decision for the first time.
There are strong indications that the former Super Eagles star who scored 16 goals in 51 appearances for the national team will appeal the decision.
Some say the 52 -year- old former Lokeren of Belgium striker may drag FIFA to Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
The court has recently been inundated by cases involving fIFA and other stakeholders including Presidents of Football federations.
THE NEWS3 days ago
Communications minister, Pantami charges NIGCOMSAT to deliver on mandate effectively
THE NEWS3 days ago
Reps ask CBN to suspend cashless policy
THE NEWS3 days ago
Court orders forfeiture of P&ID assets to FG
THE NEWS2 days ago
NITDA sets up team to investigate, protect Nigerians from data breach
THE NEWS3 days ago
Dangote hails Buhari’s new economic advisory council
BUSINESS2 days ago
Awoof Berekete: Access Bank launches campaign to promote electronic services
ENTERTAINMENT2 days ago
Ex-BBNaija star, Efe to release new single ‘campaign’
THE NEWS2 days ago
OPAN disassociates self from online group called ‘OPMAN’