Connect with us

THE NEWS

British Airways planes grounded by pilots over pay dispute

Published

on

British Airways pilots began a 48-hour strike on Monday, grounding most of the airline’s flights and disrupting thousands of travellers’ plans in unprecedented industrial action over a pay dispute.

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) last month gave the airline notice of three days of industrial action in September, in what is the first ever strike by BA pilots.

Following the strikes on Sept. 9 and 10, another day of industrial action is scheduled for Sept. 27.

BALPA has said that British Airways (BA) should share more of its profits with its pilots. BA has said the strike action is unjustifiable as its pay offer was fair.

Thousands of customers have had to seek alternative travel arrangements, and the airline has come in for criticism over how it handled communications with passengers ahead of the strikes.

“This strike will have cost the company considerably more than the investment needed to settle this dispute,” BALPA General Secretary Brian Strutton said in a statement on the eve of the strike.

“It is time to get back to the negotiating table and put together a serious offer that will end this dispute.”

Last Thursday, the airline dismissed a new offer by BALPA as an “eleventh hour inflated proposal” that was not made in good faith. BALPA had said it would have called off the strikes this week if BA had engaged with the offer.

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged both sides to end the dispute.

Asked about the strike action, a spokeswoman for British Airways said: “We remain ready and willing to return to talks with BALPA.”

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is investigating the airline after it enraged some travelers by wrongly telling them their flights had been canceled.

The regulator also reminded the airline to proactively tell customers of their rights. During the strikes, BA must offer the passengers reimbursement for canceled flights, alternate travel arrangements under comparable conditions or a new flight at a later date.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NEWS

Breaking: Soldier kills four colleagues in Borno, commits suicide

Published

on

Breaking: Soldier kills four colleagues in Borno, commits suicide

A soldier who is a Corporal of the Nigerian Army serving at the Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Army Super Camp 15, located at Malam Fatori in Borno State, northern Nigeria,  has killed four of his colleagues.

The Witness reports that a statement by the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, confirmed the development, saying that the Nigerian Army soldier later shot himself in the early hours of Wednesday, February 26,

It was learned that two other soldiers of the Nigerian Army were injured from the shooting but are currently in stable condition in hospital in Maiduguri, the capital and the largest city of Borno State in north-eastern Nigeria.

The Acting Director of Army Public Relations said efforts are ongoing to contact the families of our gallant colleagues who paid the supreme price in the line of duty.

“Two of his colleagues were also injured during the incident and are currently in stable condition in our hospital in Maiduguri. Efforts are ongoing to contact the families of our gallant colleagues who paid the supreme price in the line of duty. May their gentle souls Rest In Peace.

“Meanwhile, an investigation into the case has since been instituted to determine the circumstances that led to the unfortunate incident,” Musa said.

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

[BREAKING] Bayelsa: Supreme Court upholds judgement sacking APC’s David Lyon

Published

on

[BREAKING] Bayelsa: Supreme Court upholds judgement sacking APC's David Lyon

The Supreme Court has upheld its judgement which sacked David Lyon and Senator Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as the governor-elect and deputy governor-elect of Bayelsa State. The apex court dismissed an application for review of the judgment.

According to Justice Amina Augie who read the judgment, the application lacks merit, adding that the decisions of the court are final.

She added that the applicants failed to point out errors, stating that the judgment is final for all ages.

The apex court judge said the judgment is final in the ‘real sense’ and no court on earth can review the judgment.

“There must be an end to litigation even if we review this judgment, every disaffected litigant will bring similar applications and the finality of Supreme Court judgments will be lost.”

She added that the applications are frivolous and vexatious, and awarded the cost of N10 million against the applicants to be personally paid by their counsel.

Recall the apex court, on February 13, sacked Lyon of the APC barely 24 hours to his inauguration.

A five-member panel of the apex court led by Justice Mary Odili nullified Mr Lyon’s election on the grounds that his deputy, Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo, presented false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) to aid his qualification for the November 16 governorship election in State.

Subsequently, the court ordered INEC to declare the party with the highest number of lawful votes and geographical spread the winner of the election. The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Douye Diri, was later sworn in as governor.

This was sequel to a suit filed by the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP), Douye Diri, against the APC candidates and INEC, seeking the disqualification of the APC deputy governorship candidate.

 

Continue Reading

THE NEWS

Bayelsa: Court to deliver judgment in APC’s request to review Bayelsa judgment

Published

on

[BREAKING] Bayelsa: Supreme Court upholds judgement sacking APC's David Lyon

The Supreme Court has fixed judgment for Wednesday (Today) in the application by the All Progressives Congress (APC) for a review of its judgment in the Bayelsa State governorship dispute.

The apex court has, in its February 13, 2020 judgement, voided the participation of the APC’s candidates in the election on the grounds that its deputy governorship candidate submitted false information to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) about his education credentials.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending