Connect with us

SPORTS

BREAKING: Gianni Infantino re-elected as FIFA president

Published

on

Gianni Infantino was re-elected by acclamation for a second term as FIFA president at the Congress of world football’s governing body in Paris on Wednesday.

The 49-year-old, who took charge of FIFA in February 2016 after the departure of the disgraced Sepp Blatter, stood unopposed for re-election for a new four-year term which will run until 2023.

He said that the organization has been transformed into being “synonymous with credibility.”

Before the decision, Infantino said: “It is only thanks to you that we have been able to transform FIFA, to transform it into a new FIFA, an organization that is synonymous with credibility, confidence, integrity, equality, human rights, social engagement, modernity, professionalism and equality.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Lekki Feeder emerges victorious at Eko Disco Tennis Championship

Published

on

 Lekki feeder has emerged winners of Eko Disco Open, the tennis competition sponsored by Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) at the prestigious Ikoyi Club 1938. The championship, which started on Friday 4th October, came to a close on Friday 11th October.
The tournament played host to tennis professionals and enthusiasts at the club. The winners treated the audience to a great display of passion, resilience and skill to defeat their opponents, Ijora 33KA feeder in the finals after their skill was put to test on the day. The teams were named after the 33KVA feeders of the event sponsors; EKEDC.
In attendance at the finals were the Chairman of Ikoyi Club 1938, Yomi Orenuga, Vice Chairman of the club Tafa Zibiri-Aliu, Chairman of Tennis section, Abimbola Okubena, wife of the Chairman, Board of Directors of Eko Disco, Sharon Momoh, Chief Legal Officer of Eko Disco, Wola Joseph, General Manager, Corporate Communications of Eko Disco, Godwin Idemudia, other management and staff of the company and tennis lovers.
Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of EKEDC, Engr Adeoye Fadeyibi who was represented by the Chief Finance Officer of the company, Joseph Esenwa thanked the audience and players for taking out time to enjoy the beautiful game. He said “the tournament was borne out of our love and support for sports and recreation. At EKEDC we support sports development and recreation as they help in the work-life balance. We are delighted that the maiden edition is successful and we look forward to having more of this”.
Reacting to the sponsors of the tournament, Chairman of Ikoyi club 1938, Yomi Orenuga showed his delight at the company’s initiative to sponsor the championship. He mentioned that the club will always be ready to receive the company and suggested that the staff of the company should participate in the next edition of the championship.
The tournament came to a great close as the guests who had been treated to a great display of tennis roared as Lekki Feeder, the winners were presented their trophies and certificates. Ijora 33KVA feeder who came second was also presented their trophies.
Continue Reading

SPORTS

Ban: I have done no wrong, Siasia appeals to FIFA, CAS

Published

on

Former Super Eagles’ Chief Coach Samson Siasia on Wednesday in Abuja said he has appealed against the life ban slammed on him by world football governing body FIFA.

Siasia told newsmen that his lawyers filed the appeal to FIFA on Aug. 27, while another appeal was filed with the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) on Aug. 29.

He denied any involvement in any illegal act, such as match-fixing, saying he was well aware they are contrary to the ethics of the football sport.

“I wish to state that I have never been and would never be a party to any form of unethical conduct or perversion in the discharge of my duties in any capacity.

“I built my career in the football industry on the foundation of hard work, integrity, consistency and God.

“In all my career, I have done nothing but serve my country and clubs to the best of my personal and professional ability, with all my strength and might, with discipline, pride and passion and an awareness that it is a privilege to be an ambassador of our great nation.

“It is my greatest hope and belief that my country also stands by and with me at a time like this,” the former Super Eagles forward said.

The former player of French side Nantes and KSC Lokeren in Belgium said the entire proceedings and decision were only brought to his notice on Aug. 16.

“That was when the news broke in the public domain and friends and family started to call. I was totally unaware of the proceedings until I heard about FIFA’s decision.

“While I may not be able to publicly divulge the details and specifics, of the appeal, I think it fit to inform you that I have appealed against FIFA’s Decision and you all will probably hear the results as you heard about the ban.

“I am currently taking legal advice. My lawyer, Austin Otah, has been liaising with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and its counsel,” he said.

Siasia who also played for Nigeria at the youth level then expressed his gratitude to all Nigerians.

“I thank everyone who has supported me in one way or the other. I must state that this is the most trying period of my life.

“I am still dealing with the pains and challenges of my mother being kidnapped again and fighting to secure her release.

“I urge the nation to support me with prayers, goodwill and support of all kind. The demands are very heavy,” he said, struggling to control a surge of emotions.

Otah also reacted on the appeal.

“We have actually assisted Siasia to file his appeal and we are awaiting FIFA to acknowledge the receipt of the appeal. We are awaiting feedback from FIFA and CAS.

“The FIFA decision requires Siasia to appeal to CAS. We are exploring an internal appeal mechanism, and this will exceptionally be with the Appeal Committee of FIFA.

“But, that notwithstanding, we are still to ensure that his appeal rights are not impeded in anyway”, Otah disclosed.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

UEFA Champions League draw holds today

Published

on

Europe is set for a major soccer showpiece on Thursday: the live draw for the Champions League starting in September and the unveiling of player of the year, in men’s and women’s football.

The four pots for the draw for the group stage were confirmed Wednesday night as the curtain was drawn on the late qualifiers such as Ajax.

The ceremony begins at 18:00 CET on Thursday 29 August. It takes place at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco and will be streamed live on UEFA.com.

Which teams are in which pots?

The Champions of Europe’s top 6 leagues, the Champions League and Europa League winners are in Pot 1. So Liverpool are here along with Chelsea and Manchester City.



The following award winners will also be announced during the draw ceremony:

UEFA Men’s Player of the Year
UEFA Women’s Player of the Year
Goalkeeper of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Defender of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Midfielder of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season
Forward of the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League season

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending