Hudson-Odoi, is the first Premier League player to be confirmed to suffer from the virus, which has caused league closures in Spain, Italy and France as it was elevated to a pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
The 19-year-old winger has been sidelined with a separate injury after sustaining a hamstring problem and has not played since February 1.
The Premier League in contrast declared earlier on Thursday that the weekend’s fixtures would go ahead as planned, although a meeting was subsequently called with clubs for the next day following the news that Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta had been diagnosed with the illness.
Below is the full statement by the club on Friday morning:
“Chelsea men’s team player Callum Hudson-Odoi had a positive test result for Coronavirus returned this evening. Chelsea personnel who had recent close contact with the player in the men’s team building will now self-isolate in line with Government health guidelines. These will include initially the full men’s team squad, coaching staff and a number of backroom staff.
“It is expected that those who did not have close contact with Callum will return to work in the coming days. In the meantime, the men’s team building, one of several separate buildings at our training ground, will remain closed. The rest of our training facility, Stamford Bridge and our other facilities are operating as normal.
“Callum displayed symptoms similar to a mild cold on Monday morning and has not been at the training ground since then as a precaution. However, his test came in positive this evening and he will undergo a period of self-isolation. Despite testing positive for the virus, Callum is doing well and looking forward to returning to the training ground as soon as it is possible.
“We will continue to adhere to Government and Public Health Guidelines with regard to our facilities and staff and will be discussing next steps with regards to upcoming fixtures with the Premier League on Friday morning. We will provide further updates as necessary via the club’s website.
“We wish Callum a speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming him back to the club soon.
THE NEWS17 hours ago
BREAKING: Lagos govt reviews curfew period, schools remain shut
THE NATION3 days ago
BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu relaxes curfew in Lagos
THE NEWS15 hours ago
BREAKING: Finally, Buhari speaks on Lekki shootings, says killed protesters will get justice
THE NEWS2 days ago
#EndSARS: Tinubu visits Sanwo-Olu, says he didn’t go anywhere
ENTERTAINMENT1 day ago
Anka Cash Spa boss throws surprise birthday party for Victoria Ogini
THE NEWS2 days ago
#EndSARS: Investigation reveals Brig-Gen Francis Omata has no hands in Lekki shootings
BUSINESS13 hours ago
The making of a CSR masterstroke: An x-ray of First Bank’s Yeoman effort to move one million children to e-Learning