Connect with us

•Nnamdi Kanu

UMUAHIA—AFARA community in Ibeku Land, Umuahia, Abia State was electrified last Friday when their son and leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, returned to his ancestoral home after he was released the Kuje Prisons on bail.

The community had been in joyous mood since the day he was released and naturally they have been looking forward to seeing his return home to cool his head for some time.

So when the news filtered in early Friday morning that Kanu was likely to come home, all eyes were focused on his father’s palace. Of course they were aware of the restriction placed on him via his bail condition but they believed they would be able to at least wave to him from afar as their brother.

 

Gaining acceess

 

At about 2.00pm, Kanu arrived in a rather quiet manner. He was just driven into the palace to the joy of his siblings and family members who out of joy could not resist making shouts of joy while welcoming him. Though the members of the community were not allowed in, because of the desire for respect of the bail conditions, they began to celebrate the moment they heard the shouts of joy in the palace of their monarch, which indicated that the son turned hero has arrived home. They sang and danced around their areas but without gaining access to the palace.

It was obvious that the people of Afara were elated over the return of their son. No security personnel were seen but it was believed that some secret police personnel were planted around the area to monitor ths situation. However, a handful of youths believed to be members of the IPOB were seen around the gate to “protect their leader.” They were all calm and well behaved, just asking visitors few questions on their mission to the place.

Later in the evening, sound of the traditional 21 gun salute was heard from the direction of his Nnamdi’s father’s palace indicating that a hero has arrived home. Though there was open and loud celebration of his return to Umuahia but the members community were happy that their prince and brother has eventually returned home. “Yes we are very happy. If not for the restriction placed on him by the court, this community would have turned to carnival of a sort. But we have to obey the order and to help him because we want the government to know that he is not a law breaker but a law keeper”, a resident of the community, Emeka Akabuike said.

His father, His Royal Highness, Eze Israel Kanu believes that God who made it possible for his son to be granted bail would also make it possible for him to have total freedom. He described his son as someone who does no think ill of anybody. “I am giving God all the glory, while thanking every one who in one way or the other contributed to his release. He will not fail or deny the struggle which he is into.The struggle he is into is like a relay race, after running his own portion of the race, he will hand over to another to continue when he gets tired until victory is achieved”, the monarch said.

Eze Kanu that the IPOB leader wants to comply with the bail conditions to letter so as not to run foul of the law.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

Poly lecturers suspend strike, resume Wednesday

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has officially suspended a strike it commenced two months ago.

The union directed polytechnic lecturers to resume duty from tomorrow, February 13.

The suspension of the strike was confirmed by the national president of the union, Usman Dutse, in a phone interview with PREMIUM TIMES Tuesday evening.

The union embarked on a strike on December 12 over the failure of the federal government to implement agreements reached with the union in 2017.

ASUP went on strike in November 2017. But when it reached an agreement with the federal government to implement the recommendations of the 2014 NEEDS assessment, the strike was suspended 15 days after.

The agreement particularly highlighted the need for increased funding of polytechnics. – Premium Times.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Election scare: Okowa makes u-turn, reviews Uduaghan’s 2015 civil service recruitment

Published

on

Delta state Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa has set up committee to review the 2015 civil service recruitment by his predecessor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan in what appears a political strategy to appease those who are seriously angry with his government’s decision to halt the exercise.

This newspaper learnt that the governor has set up a fact finding committee to probe into the exercise in which Uduaghan employed over 3,000 people into the civil service at the last lap of his tenure which was halted by Governor Okowa on assumption of office over alleged irregularities

The decision to revisit the scrapped recruitment exercise which has been a minus to the Okowa’s administration is coming barely 21-days to the Governorship and State House of Assembly election.

A statement signed by the Head of Service, Reginald Bayoko said the state government has set a 9-man Committee to re-examine the 2015 recruitment exercise.

The statement reads: “It is hereby announced for the information of the general public particularly Deltans that in fulfillment of his earlier promise to revisit the 2015 recruitment exercise which was suspended due to alleged irregularities, His Excellency, Senator Dr Ifeanyi Okowa, Governor of Delta State, has approved the commencement of a screening exercise to review the suspended recruitment with a view to lifting the suspension.

“The screening exercise which is to be handled by a 9-man Committee is expected to be concluded within three weeks.

“The action of the government was in deference to public concerns regarding the fate of candidates who might have genuine cases, the continuous exit of staff in the civil service due to retirement and the apparent incremental improvement in the state economy.

“Considering the fact that, the allegation of widespread irregularities in the 2015 recruitment exercise have not been fully debunked, there is therefore the need to screen the affected candidates who participated in the exercise to establish those with genuine cases and ascertain the areas of personnel shortfall, so that those found worthy could be re-absorbed and personnel gap in the civil service bridged.

The Committee has the following terms of reference:

i. to determine the number/nomenclature of advertised posts that were filled;

ii. to screen the candidates, specifying those considered eligible and those not eligible for each of the advertised posts;

iii. to ascertain the number and geographical spread of applicants/candidates involved in the exercise according to their respective local government areas and the genuineness of their certificates/credentials and their local government of origin;

iv. to make appropriate recommendations to government on the number of candidates and categories to be absorbed from those found eligible v. to recommend measures to avoid future occurrence of irregularities in the recruitment process”.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Presidency backs El-Rufa’i, says ‘he spoke in defence of national interest’

Published

on

KADUNA State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has stirred the hornet’s nest, with his warning that foreigners  should not interfere in the conduct of the general elections.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday threatened to pull out of the peace accord it signed with other parties before the National Peace Committee (NPC) chaired by former Head of State Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar.

The opposition party hinged its decision on the “death threats” issued by the governor, according to it, to officials of the United States (U.S.), United Kingdom (U.K.) and the European Union (E.U.).

But the Presidency dismissed it all as a storm in a tea cup. “There is nothing more to sneeze at”, it said.

Besides, the governor denied calling for violence.

Also yesterday, the EU Election Observer Mission (EOM) said its men were in Nigeria on the invitation of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and that they will remain in the country to monitor the elections billed for February 16 (presidential/National) and March 2 (governorship/state Assembly).

Speaking on an NTA live programme El-Rufai was reported to have threatened the foreign nationals who might interfere with Nigeria’s upcoming elections with violent attacks.

“Those that are calling for anyone to come and intervene in Nigeria, we are waiting for the person that would come and intervene, they would go back in body bags,” he was quoted as saying.

The governor, however, explained himself yesterday, insisting that his comments were not in any way calls for violence, but a defence of Nigeria’s sovereignty.

El-Rufai said he merely stood up for Nigeria’s dignity as against those who would traduce their country and reduce it to a colony in their vain quest for power.

In a statement last night, the Presidency said: “The Federal Government under President Muhammadu Buhari would cooperate with election observers and would not let the international community down in the conduct of the coming elections.

“The Presidency assures Nigerians and the international community that the President would do everything within his power to ensure free, fair and credible elections in the country.

“We have taken note of the clarification to a reported earlier statement by the Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufa’i concerning opposition call for foreign interference in our domestic affairs and to say that latest statement by him should rest the issue for good. There is nothing more to sneeze at. The Governor spoke strongly in defense of of national interest. It is clear that El-Rufa’i, our party the APC and all its candidates have reposed their faith in democracy through general elections. They are all of the view that there is no place for violence against local people or foreign citizens in our midst.

“Opposition PDP ought to own up to the mistakes of their own policies for 16 years which have led the country to a sorry pass that has cost lives, jobs and growth instead of dwelling on diversionary issues.”

The PDP’s threat was issued at a news conference in Abuja. Its spokesman Kola Ologbondiyan described El-Rufai’s comments as inimical to peaceful, free and fair elections.

He said: “The PDP is left with no option than to consider a review of its signatory in the National Peace Accord, if no action is immediately taken to curb this trend.”

But a pro-Buhari group, the Buhari Media Organisation (BMO), said neither the PDP nor its presidential candidate, was genuinely committed to any peace deal.

According to the BMO, PDP’s presidential candidate signed the peace accord reluctantly.

The main opposition party called on the international community to immediately impose a travel ban on El-Rufai for what it described as the inciting comments against peaceful elections.

Ologbodiyan also called on the Gen. Abdulsalami to summon El-Rufai on the threat.

He said: “The PDP holds that any situation that seeks to allow the APC to abuse the tenets of the accord will definitely force our party to review our signatory to the peace process.

“We therefore call on the NPC to immediately summon El-Rufai on his inflammatory remarks against peaceful election in our country.

“In that regard, we might have no option left than to allow our members to defend their votes with whatever that is available to them.

“This country belongs to all of us and no individual or group, no matter how highly placed, can subjugate other citizens, or seek to appropriate any sort of absolutism to himself.”

The PDP also kicked against what it described as an alleged plot by the police authority to redeploy Kayode Egbetokun as Commissioner of Police to the Kwara State Command.

The opposition party alleged closeness of Egbetokun to a section of the leadership of the governing All Progressives Congress (APC).

This, according to the PDP, might lead to Egbetokun taking sides in the ongoing supremacy tussle between the PDP and the APC chapters in Kwara State.

Ologbondiyan said: “This is in line with plans by the Buhari Presidency and the APC to effect a mass deployment of top security officers, particularly the police, to intimidate, harass and manhandle Nigerians that will not support the self-succession bid of President Muhammadu Buhari as well as aiding APC thugs to snatch ballot boxes and orchestrate violence in the elections.

“Nigerians are aware of how CP Kayode Egbetokun was posted to Lagos State by the former Inspector-General of Police, Idris Ibrahim, to serve the same partisan interest and how that posting was stopped by the new IGP Adamu Mohammed. Now, he is being redeployed to Kwara State for the same ignoble plot.

“It is necessary to state that the PDP is a party of peace and we are committed to the peace accord. However, the deployment of Kayode Egbetokun as Kwara CP directly negates the principle of the Peace Accord and can only hurt the fragile peace that currently exists in Kwara state.

“We wish to remind the acting Inspector General, Adamu Mohammed, that his acceptability among Nigerians across party line was based on the pedigree, which was presented to Nigerians before his appointment.

“These pedigree and exposure place on his shoulders, the responsibility to be just, firm, equitable and professional in the discharge of his duties. We therefore urge him not to allow his reputation to be mired in controversial political activities.”

The party called on the National Peace Committee to note the alleged infractions by the APC and its leaders to the peace accord.

-THE NATION

Continue Reading

Trending