Connect with us

THE NEWS

Alleged N2.1bn fraud: Dokpesi opens defence

Published

on

Founder of DAAR Communications Plc, Raymond Dokpesi, on Tuesday opened his defence at the Federal High Court, Abuja, in the alleged N2.1 billion fraud charge preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The commission arraigned Dokpesi in 2015 on a seven-count charge bordering on alleged N2.1 billion fraud.

The money was said to be payments received from the Office of the former National Security Adviser (ONSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

At the resumed hearing, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that the matter had been adjourned for Dokpesi to open his defence.

Dokpesi was called as the first defence witness and led in evidence by his counsel, Mike Ozekhome (SAN).

The businessman told the court that he was a marine engineer and founder of Daar Investment and Holding, the parent company of DAAR Communications.

He also told the court that the company, which had been in business in the past 32 years for print media and 28 years for electronic media, served government at all levels, business entities, individuals and corporate organisations.

“All that any of our customers needs to do is reach out to our canvassers through our marketing and sales officers and management to book for airtime on the product they want advertised.

“There is no special treatment, as it is one and the same procedure for everybody – Federal Government, state government or individuals,” he said.

Dokpesi also told the court that the company had a brochure with advert rates where corporate organisations and individuals could peruse to pick the package that they are most comfortable with.

Ozekhome tendered the brochure as an exhibit and it was admitted in evidence.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending