Nigeria’s Super Eagles have booked their place in the round of 16 of the Africa Cup of Nations after defeating Guinea 1-0 in Wednesday’s group B game.
Kenneth Omeruo scored the only goal of the encounter in the 72nd minutes through a header to help the team pick the maximum points.
Nigeria currently tops the group with six points and will face Madagascar in the final match.
Tyson Fury defeats Deontay Wilder, clinches WBC heavyweight title
Tyson Fury, a British professional boxer, has defeated his opponent, Deontay Wilder, an American professional boxer, in a thrilling bout in Las Vegas, becoming the WBC world heavyweight champion for the second time.
The Witness reports that Fury, nicknamed the “Gypsy King”, knocked his opponent, “The Bronze Bomber” down in the third and fifth rounds. He completely controlled every moment of their fight, and forced the towel to be thrown in by Wilder’s corner during an onslaught.
Fury won every round in his rematch with the previously unbeaten Wilder. The pair had drawn their first bout 15 months ago and Fury remains unbeaten after claiming the WBC world title.
Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder
Reacting to his loss, Wilder admitted that the better man won, saying: “The best man won on the night. My coach threw in the towel but I’m ready to go out on my shield,” he said.
“I had a lot of things go on coming into this fight but it is what it is.
“I just wish my corner would have let me go out on my shield, I’m a warrior. But he [Fury] did what he did and there’s no excuses,” Wilder added.
On ther other hand, Fury hailed Wilder for a good fight and being a “warrior”, saying: “I want to shout out Deontay Wilder, he showed the heart of a champion. He got up and battled onto round seven. He is a warrior, he will be back and be champion again,” the new world heavyweight champion stated.
“But the king has returned to the top of the throne,” Fury added.
Police speak on footballer allegedly killed by SARS operative in Ogun
The Ogun state police command has reacted to the death of Tiyamiyu Kazeem a young footballer allegedly killed by an operative of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Shagamu, Ogun State on Saturday.
Kazeem, popularly known as ‘Kaka’ who until his death, was a player with the Remo Stars Football Club based in Sagamu, The Witness learnt was said to have been shot along the Abeokuta-Sagamu Expressway.
The Media Manager of Remo Stars Football Club, Oladimeji Oshode, who confirmed the incident, said the deceased was the club’s assistant captain and a defender.
Oshode, in a statement posted on social media, said the incident happened while the late Kazeem was driving along Sagamu area with one of his teammates, Sanni Abubakar.
He said: “According to an eyewitness, he claimed that the SARS officer stopped the footballer to label him a Yahoo Boy and they insisted on taking him to the nearby police station.
“The SARS officer stopped Tiyamiyu Kazeem insisting that he was a Yahoo Boy, he brought out his identity (ID) card to identify himself as a player of Remo Stars FC but the officer insisted on taking him to the nearest police station in Sagamu.
“Tiyamiyu and Sanni obliged, followed the SARS officers, only for them to notice that they were driving towards Sagamu-Abeokuta Expressway, then the guys questioned to know where the SARS officers were taking them to, but this prompted them to stop the car and push him (Tiyamiyu) out of the car, whereby an unknowing vehicle knocked him down.”
Oshode disclosed that Kazeem was immediately rushed to Fakoya Hospital in Sagamu, where he was confirmed dead.
But in a statement made available to The Witness on Saturday, the Ogun state police command however denied reports that the SARS operative made attempt to extort the late footballer.
Read the full statement below:
The Ogun state police command wishes to inform members of the public the fact behind the unfortunate incident that happened in Shagamu today 22nd February 2020 which led to the unfortunate death of a young man who is simply identified as “Kaka”.
A police inspector attached to zonal intervention squad Obada oko in Abeokuta said to have received an information about the deceased that he always put on military apparels knowing fully well that he is not a military personnel. Based on the information, the inspector went to shagamu and saw the deceased puting on a military cap consequent upon which he got him arrested.
On the way to Abeokuta, the vehicle they were traveling with developed a mechanical fault and while the officer was trying to rectify the fault, the arrested person jumped down from the vehicle to escape. In his bid to run across the road, an on coming vehicle which is on high speed knocked him down and he died on the spot.
Meanwhile, the commissioner of police Ogun state police command has ordered the immediate arrest of the officer for his unprofessional act of leaving an arrested person alone in the vehicle . A full scale investigation into the case has commenced by state criminal investigation and intelligence department.
Meanwhile, normalcy has been restored as members of the public has been assured of proper investigation of the case.
– DSP ABIMBOLA OYEYEMI PPRO OGUN STATE POLICE COMMAND.
Nigeria Para-lifters federation president, Uboh, resigns
Mrs. Queen Uboh-Idris has resigned from her position as the President of the Nigerian Para-Powerlifting Federation.
Uboh-Idris resigned after successfully hosting the Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting World championship.
Uboh-Idris announced her resignation to a bewildered audience at the closing ceremony/dinner held in honour of athletes and officials of the just concluded Para Powerlifting World Cup at the International Conference Center in Abuja on Friday night.
Efforts by journalists to speak to the President on the reasons behind her resignation were unsuccessful as officials of the body and overzealous friends denied access to her.
Uboh-Idris has been embroiled in controversies prior to the World Championship, with one of them being when she was quoted to have raised alarm over Team Nigeria missing out of attending a tournament that is being hosted in Nigeria.
She was rumored to be at loggerheads with the decision of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development who approved thirty athletes against the sixty athletes she favored to participate at the just concluded Para Powerlifting event.
However, She promised to issue a statement at a later date, to explain the reasons for action.
The seven-day Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting World Championship, which ended on Friday in Abuja, featured athletes from Georgia, Ghana, Egypt, Cameroon.
THE NEWS1 day ago
Bayelsa: Court to deliver judgment in APC’s request to review Bayelsa judgment
THE NATION2 days ago
Truth about the ‘Killings’ at Benin-Ore road by herdsmen over the weekend
THE NEWS2 days ago
Police dismiss SARS officer involved in footballer, Tiyamiyu’s death
THE NATION1 day ago
Presidency recalls sacked aides of VP Osinbajo
THE NEWS1 day ago
Bayelsa: Supreme Court upholds judgement sacking APC’s David Lyon
THE NEWS1 day ago
Buhari’s minister in alleged forgery, fraud scandal
INVESTIGATION2 days ago
REVEALED: Why NSA Monguno did not attend Service Chiefs’ meeting
Uncategorized2 days ago
N400m fraud: Olisa Metuh bags 7-year jail term